Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Stunning scenery, lots of great cruising, go for it! 30' no problem, there are plenty of lovely days in summer, I agree with all the positive comments above.
    One thing to be aware of, men of the local tribes wear oddly patterned skirts, with hairy codpieces, and carry daggers. Despite this terrifying appearance, they usually offer a warm welcome to visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Stunning scenery, lots of great cruising, go for it! 30' no problem, there are plenty of lovely days in summer, I agree with all the positive comments above.
    One thing to be aware of, men of the local tribes wear oddly patterned skirts, with hairy codpieces, and carry daggers. Despite this terrifying appearance, they usually offer a warm welcome to visitors.
    And there is a compulsory uniform for visitors, calf length Dubarry boots, (no imitations) faded pink shorts, then a lifejacket over a massive breathable Musto jacket (size XXl) with a 'gilet jaune' coloured hood, zipped up tight around your paunch, sunnies are optional and rarely needed but if worn they must be Oakleys. Dress like that and we will know you have come up north on a death defying adventure and treat you with proper respect when we meet you in the shop or pub.
    There is also the language 'Yooffa yat, wat yat yoooffa'? Answer truthfully and without hesitatation and all will be well.

Never, ever, listen to an Irishman living in Scotland, it always ends in ridiculousness. :-)
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Its a dreadful place and you should do your level best to stay away. It rains all the time - every day - and then there are the midgies. The food is terrible and there is the most dreadful drink which is a kind of brown colour and tastes of burnt tyres. The natives are really unfriendly and....need I go on?
    Best stick to the swatchways or whatever the place is called.
    Claymore

Itís wonderful. I spent a very happy season working on a small cruise ship out of Oban sailing to the small isles, inner Hebrides, outer Hebrides, Skye, St Kilda and the Shiants.

The scenery is amazing, there is no shortage of interesting anchorages, the majority with astounding sunsets and sunrises, there are so many interesting places to go ashore and a very warm welcome when you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    IF the weather is good it is a fine cruising ground.
    Thatís a very big if...

Quote Originally Posted by slawosz View Post
    I recently took a closer look to west coast of Scotland and I wonder if it is friendly to cruising?
    You're getting lots of positive responses from the faithful (a bit like asking the Easter Sunday crowds in St Peter's Square if they like the Pope) so I'll give some negatives as well ...

• The weather is frequently bad and regularly dreadful, even in summer.
    • Autumn starts on the 1st August,
    • When the weather is bad you can easily find yourself stuck in the arse end of nowhere for days, sheltered but bored
    • Particularly in overcast weather or worse. it all looks the same. Once you've seen one pine wood with a belt of brown rock below you've seen 'em all.
    • Many formerly pleasant anchorages are beset with moorings and pontoons as the locals attempt to make a quick buck out of the passing gentry.
    • Stores can be hard to get. Happy Shopper stuff loses its appeal after a bit.
    • Midgies make most places within 50yds of the shore (either way) unpleasant in the evenings and many places intolerable.

All of which said, I've been sailing the West Coast in my own boats since 1988 and I am still here. I do crave a trip to warm sunshine, deciduous trees, crowded anchorages, designer sunglasses and espadrilles. Maybe one day ...
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You're getting lots of positive responses from the faithful (a bit like asking the Easter Sunday crowds in St Peter's Square if they like the Pope) so I'll give some negatives as well ...

• The weather is frequently bad and regularly dreadful, even in summer.
    • Autumn starts on the 1st August,
    • When the weather is bad you can easily find yourself stuck in the arse end of nowhere for days, sheltered but bored
    • Particularly in overcast weather or worse. it all looks the same. Once you've seen one pine wood with a belt of brown rock below you've seen 'em all.
    • Many formerly pleasant anchorages are beset with moorings and pontoons as the locals attempt to make a quick buck out of the passing gentry.
    • Stores can be hard to get. Happy Shopper stuff loses its appeal after a bit.
    • Midgies make most places within 50yds of the shore (either way) unpleasant in the evenings and many places intolerable.

All of which said, I've been sailing the West Coast in my own boats since 1988 and I am still here. I do crave a trip to warm sunshine, deciduous trees, crowded anchorages, designer sunglasses and espadrilles. Maybe one day ...
    You forgot to say that if you go further north and west, there aren't even any trees.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    ...Going out of the Sound of Mull, northwards can be a challenge as calms water hits a big swell from the south, same for the waters of the Minch...
    As relative novice sailors it was in the Little Minch that we learnt the real meaning of 'wind over tide'.

As noted what you need most to enjoy the west coast is TIME. We spent our first summer of livaboarding up there and that was in a 27' yacht; we really enjoyed it despite the weather but have often commented since that we'd probably enjoy it even more now having learnt not to rush things in the interim.
    I chose the road less travelled, now where the hell am I?

Quote Originally Posted by BobnLesley View Post
    As noted what you need most to enjoy the west coast is TIME. We spent our first summer of livaboarding up there and that was in a 27' yacht; we really enjoyed it despite the weather but have often commented since that we'd probably enjoy it even more now having learnt not to rush things in the interim.
    And - restating your point a bit - for those who don't have infinite time, I think the trick is not to have a plan, or too much of a plan. A couple of years ago I was determined to get round Skye, so we hared north up the Sound of Mull, got round Ardnamurchan and then spent a soggy, miserable week skulking around Arisaig, Loch Moidart and Eigg before cutting our losses and heading south again in a weather window. It would have been much more sensible to play on a smaller further south - better weather, less frustrating, no feeling of a failed project.

The following year we were at Linnhe Marine in rotten drizzle with no let up forecast, so we belted south on the spur of the moment and got sunburned in Bangor instead. That was much more satisfying.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast