Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    ... until reaching the Ooter Hebrides where they are all over the place now.. Stornoway, Lochmaddy, Lochboisdale, East Loch Tarbet.
    Some of the above are decidedly NOT Marinas. They are installations of pontoons, which may, or may not, provide safe berthing. The unwary tend to assume that because there are moorings/pontoons etc, that these places will be safe and secure. No, you still have to consider the expected wind strength and direction.

Quote Originally Posted by NormanS View Post
    Some of the above are decidedly NOT Marinas. They are installations of pontoons, which may, or may not, provide safe berthing. The unwary tend to assume that because there are moorings/pontoons etc, that these places will be safe and secure. No, you still have to consider the expected wind strength and direction.
    +1, +1, +1.

Stornoway, and possibly Lochboisdale (although I have not visited recently) afford decent shelter. Lochmaddy I would not consider in any sort of a blow. East Loch Tarbert is pretty grim next to the ferry berth, and untenable with wind with any east in it. The pontoon at North Harbour Scalpay is far preferable, but you have to accept the 'facilities' there are pretty limited.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by AngusMcDoon View Post
    Wrong time of year! The best weather is nearly always mid May to mid June. After that it goes continually downhill until the following Easter.
    We were there from the end of May to mid July when First Mate said enough was enough. The 7 degrees C had a lot to do with it! We went back to Ireland, then to the IOM for the Classic TT and MGP.

It was awful most of the time in Scotland and we both caught heavy colds.

The Scottish midge goes to Dunardry, half way along the Crinan Canal, when it is hungry, ( They are not actually that hungry, they are randy, a much stronger motivation) trees and shelter for the sex they intend to enjoy (just once) when they have had their feed of blood. I spent up to an hour a day there in summer and have tested Skin so Soft, Deet and Smidge. I can warrant of those Smidge is by far the most effective.

Rotrax is right, why suffer the privations of our West Coast when you could go to Brittany or West Cork?

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    The Scottish midge goes to Dunardry, half way along the Crinan Canal, when it is hungry,
    I once had to spend the night by the toilets at Dunardry (in the year of mandatory assisted passage: we left Ardrishiag at 9am and they got us to Dunardry for 5pm). I can testify that the midgies there are quite spectacularly voracious. I left an oil lamp burning outside (they like the CO2 which distracted most of them, but a few still found their way through the cabin ventilation. I have promised my crew, and myself, that if we are evr stuck in that God-forsaken hell-hole again we will spend the night in a hotel, regardless of cost.

"Bowmore is namely for the mudges"? Pah.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

You will need the right anchor.....

Its simple - there is no finer cruising ground in the British Isles.

The language is an issue. Lots of guesswork needed. Don’t think it will help much if you understand English perfectly. There is no such thing as a Scottish language and no one speaks Gaelic hardly, so a dictionary translation is useless. Ya donna ha’ a wraa aboo tha roo?

Midges (please not midgies) can only fly at 4mph, so realistically are seldom a problem when you're afloat.
    On land, it's a different story.

Midges are also rarely an issue when anchored, provided you're anchored a couple of hundred meters away from the shore.

Spent several lovely evenings sat in the cockpit, enjoying the evening whilst those ashore are driven to distraction!

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast