Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Default Re: West coast of Scotland - is it cruising friendly?

My experience on the West coast is rather limited but I can say, the 3 days long waiting for a weather window well worth that 15min SUNSHINE on a remote white sand beach, where your dinghy will be the only man-made item and your crew the only people.

The landscape is a dream - which turns into a nightmare above 50kts if you are in a wrong place...

For those of us with limited holidays, its difficult/impossible to schedule. I fully understand those joining the crowds in the 90% sunny Med...

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    I sometimes wonder if people are dreaming , in their sailing, The vast majority of the West Coast of Scotland is Pristine
    white sandy beaches sea lochs and inlets , always voted in the top sailing destinations of the world , it gives you the Atlantic coast , small channels , fast tidal runs , outstanding beauty and great hospitality.
    I have since a child sailed up and down this coast and visited the islands camping and climbing and have never seen what you talk about, the main town of Barra , do people not go outside the town, you also mention life is a struggle ,what do you mean , for some this life is a blessing to get away from the Central belt or over crowded parts of England , and most of these little towns are run by many nationalities running bed and breakfasts and other enterprising crafts, prosperity is not defined by the little white painted houses from london owners that have bought up all the property in these English towns you mention.
    These so called deprived hamlets of the West Coast will also show some of the nicest people you will meet, this is a remote place little populated and little services , that is why is is unique, if you want to go sailing outside Blackpool that is your choice.
    Waste is a common problem in all Sea communities and I would be surprised if the rest of the UK did not suffer this blite Generally the more populate the worst it gets.
    What would you rather see when sailing, Dolphins. Orcas, Whales ,Puffins ,Seals, mountains and sea Lochs and little villages , or Rich houses nice cars and a Waitrose for your convenience, one wonders why you go sailing.
    Ayr
    Millport
    Largs
    Troon
    Oban
    Mallaig
    Stornaway
    Barra
    Port Avadie
    Tarbert
    Crinan
    Lamlash (Arran all over)
    are some little places you missed(feel free all to add) for nice litte towns with no poverty , burned out cars , neds, etc
    Ayr!!!!??? I think it is many years since you were there....

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It's not just the West Coast, either. SW Scotland is dying on its feet. My local primary school has half the pupils it had ten years ago and my local secondary, capacity 120, currently has 50 on the roll. Your problems are our problems (of course you have bigger transport issues) and we will all stand or fall together. I reckon good broadband has to be part of the answer - if it wasn't for that I couldn't work as a lecturer from the middle of nowhere.
    At risk of having this thread shifted to the lounge, or *gasp* worse.....

You must ask, whats your (comunity's) problem?
    So far this year Eigg population is up by 1 (3 moving off, 1 moving on and 2 brand new ones). its a persistent trend. Sure other places are dwindling, but as I said why?
    Yes we have broadband, 50% mobile phone coverage (going to 100% of roads if you are with EE this year)

Anyway, back to the thread:
    its fantastic round here. Eigg, if you can sail here then the weather aint that bad.....
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    . . . .Stornaway, Barra, Port Avadie . . . .
    Interesting you should include Portavadie in your list of pristine west coast places. Is that the same one where if you walked a couple of hundred yards along the shore, you came across a completely abandoned village covered in graffiti, standing proud testament to the vain effort to reverse the economic depression of the area?

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Sailor View Post
    Interesting you should include Portavadie in your list of pristine west coast places. Is that the same one where if you walked a couple of hundred yards along the shore, you came across a completely abandoned village covered in graffiti, standing proud testament to the vain effort to reverse the economic depression of the area?
    The marina is also totally man-made - you can easily see the boreholes used to blast it out of the rock! It is nevertheless attractive in its own way - just as the slate quarries at Ballachulish and Easdale are.

While we all admire "natural" scenery", there is very little of that in the UK. The natural state of the majority of the UK is either swamp or temperate rain-forest. Our Neolithic and Bronze-Age forebears cleared the forest, and the swamps started being drained by the Romans, and even before being drained they were extensively managed to produce useful products such as thatch, fodder and fish. There is, I understand, a TINY bit of ancient woodland in Scotland - but we are talking about acres. Small areas of the high hills may also be in a "natural" condition - but given the prevalence of sheep and grouse shooting, that's doubtful. In my part of the world, the Norfolk Broads, so often held up as a natural and environmentally sensitive area are in fact the remains of mediaeval peat diggings! And even nature reserves like Wicken Fen are in no sense "natural" - they owe their diversity and interest to long-term human management.

Just because a landscape has changed and evolved is no reason to dislike it. What we call "natural" and "untouched" is nothing of the kind - but it is still beautiful.

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

Scotland has a wonderful asset called the West Coast of Scotland that large numbers of tourists, including sailors, feel the need to visit each year.
    If you own something special and unique you need to look after it carefully and also define exactly what you want it to be.
    At the moment there seems to be a free for all in the name of economic benefit to gradually turn it into just another tatty place which will degenerate into nothing special. There are already lots of places like this so why not concentrate economic activity there? The area South West of Glasgow has been turned into one large onshore wind farm, so why continue to spoil the rest of your country with these? Fish farms could be confined to areas that are not so special.
    It may be that the best way forward is for the entire West Coast and Islands to be designated a National Park. If it were a National Park there could be proper strategic planning for the future and all the present issues, including "random rubbish dumps" could be addressed on a larger scale.
    And before Scots tell me to keep my nose out of their affairs....I was born and raised in Scotland and have a deep affection for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    You must ask, whats your (comunity's) problem?
    So far this year Eigg population is up by 1 (3 moving off, 1 moving on and 2 brand new ones). its a persistent trend. Sure other places are dwindling, but as I said why?
    Yes we have broadband, 50% mobile phone coverage (going to 100% of roads if you are with EE this year)
    Broader horizons for young people than ever and very little breadth of opportunity at home. And a vicious circle, because people with families tend not to move into areas with few children.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Meanwhile, over on the east it will cost £2 more in tourist tax for an overnight stay at Granton (new marina) and Port Edgar.
    After all someone has to pay for my countrywide free travel!

Quote Originally Posted by awol View Post
    Meanwhile, over on the east it will cost £2 more in tourist tax for an overnight stay at Granton (new marina) and Port Edgar.
    After all someone has to pay for my countrywide free travel!
    All the more reason to travel west!
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by ctva View Post
    All the more reason to travel west!
    Naaah! Chris, don't encourage him, he is is over here often enough as it is.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast