Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Complete newbie in need of advice

Hi girls & guys, I have just bought my first boat and have very little experience. Probably unwisely I did not have a survey done before I purchased. What I would like is a sort of MOT for boats. Someone who knows what they are looking for to advise what is needed to be done to the boat. I would like to do as much of this work required myself so I can learn as much as possible. The boat is moored at Dover Marina at the moment. Does anyone know a company or individual local who could do this for me? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer on this (and the many more questions I will need help with in the near future).

Default Re: Complete newbie in need of advice

If you want to know what if anything is wrong with the boat? Then as a complete newbie having it surveyed is arguably the best route, this will also give you a to do list. It won’t be cheap! IIRC there’s a good boat builders at Wellington dock or ask in Sharp &Enright the marine chandlers for advice . Good luck

John

A very muchless expensive option is to pay a boatbuilder to inspect the boat and give you his opinion. A full survey is just that, checking the condition of everything. A boatbuilder will sim0ly take a look and advise you what he would do if he was asked to make it seaworthy. A Surveyors job is to report on every aspect, with liability if he misses anything. The boat builder at perhaps a quarter the cost of a full survey simply gives a professional opinion and advice, but there's little comeback if he did miss anything, which is unlikely if you get a good man!
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

M&P Marine services is the local boat repair firm if you want to go down that route rather than a formal survey and have a good reputation.
    If you are going to do most of the work yourself you probably already have the basic skills to look at the boat and work out what needs doing. What sort of boat is it?What engine?

Surveyors don't just do surveys. You could employ one to go over the boat with you for a few hours, discussing its condition and any work which might need done. Of course you might get a survey report out of it too, which could be useful for getting insurance.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Surveyors will cover whatever you ask them to look at. I was looking at a nice plywood Eventide many years ago, but had doubts about its condition. I asked a Surveyor to take a look and tell me whether it was worth pursuing. An emphatic 'no' confirmed my own doubts and saved me a great deal of money! A coat of paint hides many sins! The 'Boatbuilders opinion' option is my choice when dealing with older low value boats, though. Most boatbuilders enjoy talking about boats, and let fall many useful practical tips in the process!
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Tell us all about your boat and I am sure you will get some useful pointers...also lndicate your list of skills or bodging!

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    Most boatbuilders enjoy talking about boats, and let fall many useful practical tips in the process!
    The boatbuilder may enjoy chatting but may not be much cop at writing things down. A surveyor writes reports for a living. I’ve frequently forgotten the details of a chat the next day but my survey gave me a job list to run through. I appreciate your cost-based reasoning, but simply putting forward an alternate perspective the additional cost of a proper survey may be money well spent, particularly if the op hasn’t tried to get insurance yet

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    The boatbuilder may enjoy chatting but may not be much cop at writing things down. ... I’ve frequently forgotten the details of a chat the next day but my survey gave me a job list to run through.
    You could always put your phone on record...

Mike.

Hi, thanks everyone for your advice. I know a survey would be a good way to go but is quite a lot of expense. I'm looking for something a little less formal and appreciate there will be no real comeback for anything missed. The boat is a Summer Twins Catamaran 1989 with twin Volvo Penta engines. As said I know little about sailboats. My general skills are pretty good regarding things little electrics, plumbing, general maintenance and a very little engine knowledge. Things I have no knowledge of are things like the rigging. Certainly some of the ropes look in bad repair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast