Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Complete newbie in need of advice

Tell us a bit about your beauty.. for she is a beauty .. to you at least.
    There are a few on this forum who know a little bit about floaty things and have a bit of experience in fixing what goes wrong.

As to your OP, yes it is a good idea to know how to fix things.. Unless you are minted and PSE for all the maintenance, something will go wrong sooner or later (sometimes when a hired in help is not at hand) so being able to fix it is always a good idea.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

No surveyor, no broker ,no builder - once money is ied they all have a self interest.
    Get a bloke or a gal that you know has a decent track record of sailing and maintenance.
    I don't mean someone who can claim to have sailed the Atlantic, most were only dead weight with the thinking done by someone else. Nor an experienced charter boat hirer.
    Oh, and by the way, someone will say only a surveyor has a sovereign meter to test for osmosis - no boat has sunk from osmosis, and anyhow it will be obvious the next time she's out of the water , no blisters, no drama!

Things not helped that my posts have to go through a moderator so don't show for hours after I actually post. Anyway next Tuesday the boat is being inspected and I expect I will have a lot more to ask after then. Seems a great bunch of helpful people on here and hopefully in time I can help others. Thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by jbm1967 View Post
    ... and hopefully in time I can help others. Thanks to all.
    After all, knowing how not to do things is also useful, as the "Confessional" page of YM attests!

Mike.

Just a thought but is it not necessary to have a survey done for insurance purposes ? I know that after my first year my insurance company required a copy of my survey.

With third party never been asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfellah View Post
    Just a thought but is it not necessary to have a survey done for insurance purposes ? I know that after my first year my insurance company required a copy of my survey.
    This seems to come up on here a lot, not sure why, I have owned 7 boats (not counting dinghies) over 45 years, have always insured with mainstream UK companies, requests for insurance survey so far = 0. Probably because I have never left UK/Irish waters?

The only thing I can remember about insuring a boat for the first time was on one occasion a stipulation that all material defects reported on the survey were addressed, they did however not wish to see the survey or evidence that the works had been completed. No doubt had there been need to claim there would have been investigation as to whether I had complied with their requirements.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123