Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Complete newbie in need of advice

If you belonged to a local club there would be someone with the appropriate experience to advise you. Joining a club can be very useful to a novice, and many clubs, even posh ones, tend to be keen to take on new members these days.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

To update thanks to the replies I am arranging for M & P Marine Services to carry out an inspection and paying them hourly. I am sure I will be back in touch for more help when I know what is required. Thanks to all!

Subscribe to PBO, buy and read a few books, put the kettle on and stare at your engine with the factory service manual in your hand. You’ll never stop learning, and the more you think about the problem at hand, the more confident you’ll become in your ownership. Within reason of course.

Quote Originally Posted by armchairsailor View Post
    Subscribe to PBO, buy and read a few books, put the kettle on and stare at your engine with the factory service manual in your hand. You’ll never stop learning, and the more you think about the problem at hand, the more confident you’ll become in your ownership. Within reason of course.
    Hmm.
    The first time I replaced the water pump impeller, I didn't know that there is a key in the shaft that has to engage a slot before the new impeller can be slid back into the pump chamber.

I got so annoyed that I considered giving the shaft a tap with a hammer - I still get a chill when I think of the damage that I could have done.

Eventually I tried rotating the flywheel using the starter handle with the engine decompressed and the shaft slid in like a slidey shaft. That's how I always do it now.

Of course the manual didn't mention the issue.

Moral, RTFM but think before doing anything irrevocable..

The question of what needs doing rather depends on your plans. If you propose to sit tucked up in Dover Marina requirements might differ to needs if intending to cross the channel or visit the Med. clearly you can always think of new tasks though. A few years ago there used to be scheme where by a yacht safety check could be carried out free of charge to advise on your safety equipment and I believe was under auspices of RNLI or RYA. That might be a useful starting point ? Personally I would also be looking on the owners website and seeing if for a small fee you could join and entice a retired owner on the members committee to advise on matters to look at for your acquisition before shelling out now on a survey until you have identified issues where you might need expert advice such as keel bolts or rudder bearings etc.

When we know the boat model we will have a better idea of the sort of advice to give.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Absolutely the best idea to get a surveyor in on an hourly rate. You know how much you’re spending. He could easily tell you to sell the boat within half an hour. Or he might start giving you suggestions of what would be worth doing, and you can keep listening as long as you find it useful. Most importantly, you’ll find out what absolutely must be done before you sail safely, and what can be done at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by jbm1967 View Post
    The boat is a Summer Twins Catamaran 1989 with twin Volvo Penta engines.
    It might be worth £12 to join this: https://htcca.co.uk/st-25/
    ۞

I think this thread has suffered from the ybw new member moderation and posts have appeared long after they were made. Good luck to the OP with your new cat.

Thanks for all advice and yes it's certainly not helped that my posts have to be moderated before they appear. Hopefully that will not last too long.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast