Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Default Do you remove your head sail?

We had the worst storm so far this winter with winds over night touching 63mph and it's expected to continue blowing and not easying at all for the rest of to day .
    The noise of the wind going through the rigging is bad enough without the sounds of the mooring line coming to the end of there stretch as the boat rock to a angle before rocking back , it's all part on living on board but it's the sound of flogging sails that get me .
    At first day light , I when out on deck to check on the lines to find two boats that's been left had the furling head sail unfurl and other then some flapping bits the sails are no where to be seen .

Why do people leave there sails on over winter espically head sails .
    I know local boats may want to go out the odd weekend but it don't take that long to put it back up , once we all had to hank our sails on and off every time we sail .
    I suppose it keep sails makers pocket lines .
    Is all this new tec stuff making us that lazy?
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 05-02-19 at 08:08.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Do you remove your head sail?

Always remove both main and genoa. I suspect it is a combination of ignorance, laziness and too much money. Even seeing dinghies left inflated and either on deck or davits is surprising.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Next time I leave my boat in the water over winter, I shall definitely remove my headsail (not my main as it will be well and truly lashed and under it's cover - which will also be lashed!)

I made the mistake of leaving my headsail on in 2014/15 and had to stand on shore (a mile away across the sea loch) and forlornly watch the sail shred itself to bits.
    Costly, but at least I now have a lovely new replacement sail
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

I Always remove all sails for the Winter, I also wash and hang up to dry for the Winter all the running rigging. Doesn’t take long to ‘mouse’ all the halyard runs ready for re- running the halyards in Spring.

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    I Always remove all sails for the Winter, I also wash and hang up to dry for the Winter all the running rigging. Doesn’t take long to ‘mouse’ all the halyard runs ready for re- running the halyards in Spring.
    I also remove mine to wash them then replace my good sails with the old ones which I keep as spare (I keep everything as spare and my garage loft is a veritable Aladin's cave!!)

But at least the one I lost was not my new 135% genoa!
    Kay Sarah Sarah
    57°51.42' N 5°29.44' W

I take the headsail off if I am leaving the boat unused for more than a couple of weeks but I have no sacrificial strip so sun damage is more of an issue. It only takes a few minutes to do each time I go sailing.

I am afloat and in commission so the head sail is up. There must be at least five wraps if sheet round the sail and a sail tie to keep it furled. The main is cosy in its sail cover.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.
    Gib'Sea 96 owner

I think we be surprise how many don't , a quick guess in this marina no more then six boats and we one that have removed our sail . Our main which is a inmast furling has the outhaul is removed and the last bit of the sail wrap around the mast and tighten back , that has a canvas cover and that is also tightened back also the gear is locked .
    In the days when we had sliding main that also came off every year washed and put away .
    It does matter how many times you have your sheet wrap around the forstay once the wind gets a small part of the sail you can almost say there going to be some damage .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 05-02-19 at 09:18.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

We remove our headsail after our last sail of the year, usually October, and raise it again for our first sail, usually in May. However, it remains up and furled from May to October and there are summer storms as well as winter storms so it's all a bit of a gamble.

Richard

In the yard where my boat is kept there are boats left all winter with sails bent, fenders out and mooring lines attached to cleats. No doubt there is an unfinished meal on the cabin table.
    "Brexit: like watching a library being burned down by people who can't read"

Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast