Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Do you remove your head sail?

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    We remove our headsail after our last sail of the year, usually October, and raise it again for our first sail, usually in May. However, it remains up and furled from May to October and there are summer storms as well as winter storms so it's all a bit of a gamble.

Richard
    As you say Richard , it's is a bit of a gamble , and I know like us your on board for most of the summer so you can deal with a problem quickly .
    All the boats in this marina have been left for the winter even the local once we very rarely see anyone checking on them on a sunny day ,

And sail are not the only item to think about , we leave our cockpit encloser up all winter as we no board nice to sit out in the morning and have a coffee even on a cold day when it's can be warmer out side then in side ,
    but many leave them up over winter to keep there cockpit dry and go home , over the years we seen many of these also damaged beyond repair , early hours of the morning my partner had to rush out and zip our all back up as it was about to take off , lucky for me I just fallen back asleep again and didn't hear her getting up or it would had be me .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 05-02-19 at 10:10.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

We have given up winter sailing and so always remove both sails, whether afloat or ashore. In the past I have left an old jib in place - the worn leach had been cut down. Even in the season I always wrap the spinnaker halyard round the jib in a tight spiral in the opposite direction to the furled sail, this being a much better safeguard than a single tie lower down. I wouldn't want the additional windage of a sail in place when laid up ashore.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I've seen furling jibs unfurl in storms many times, sometimes damaging more than just the sail. When I suggest to put extra ties on or take sails off prior to bad weather people often just don't believe it can happen.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    I've seen furling jibs unfurl in storms many times, sometimes damaging more than just the sail. When I suggest to put extra ties on or take sails off prior to bad weather people often just don't believe it can happen.
    Your right people just won't have it , I do this or I do that and no change it becoming unfurl ,
    The only way the sail is not going to get unfurl is if it's no on there in the first place .
    For sailor who should know how powerful the wind can be , we do take some risk .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

I've left the Genoa on again this winter as I did plan to do some winter sailing

For the second year running I have not taken the boat out and now regret not removing it

I have seen a couple of boats in our marina shred their genoas through them unfurling

I put some wraps of the spinnaker halyard around the Genoa and tie off, and I put a stopper knot on the furling line

Always over winter. I found that even a furled sail with ties around it can unfurl with enough wind. Cost me €300 for repairs the last time and at least I can sleep when I'm 1000 miles away.

I have been in marinas on quite a few occasions and seen furled headsails trashed but the majority are not trashed, they stay in place, secure on their foils. When I roll away my genoa I stop and pull the sail tight on the sheets, about 4 times and finish with around 3 wraps of sheet, then pull the sheets tight and secure on their cleats. When pulling back on the sheets I always get about a 1' of sheet back as the sail pulls tight around the foil. There has to be a bit of effort to get the sail tight and secure on the foil.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post
    ... and I put a stopper knot on the furling line
    That's a very good point Dave. I always leave a stopper knot on the furling line when I leave the boat with the sail furled.

I accept that the wrapped sheets might come loose and the wind might unfurl the sail to some extent but at least the furling drum isn't ever going to unwind.

Richard

Some of us still do hank on!

Over winter the main is off and everything is out of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathdave View Post

I put some wraps of the spinnaker halyard around the Genoa and tie off, and I put a stopper knot on the furling line

If it must be left on, this is probably the best way to tackle it.

Also useful even if you remove your sail, I picked up this tip on the forum only last year: Wrapping the halyard around the foil helps prevent the naked extrusion from oscillating wildly in strong winds by shedding vortices.

See the photo of the helical chimney stack strake, on this page:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_shedding

It's not a great idea to loosen the backstay much either, esp if it leaves the forestay saggy
    Last edited by doug748; 05-02-19 at 11:58.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast