Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Do you remove your head sail?

Taking a biggish genoa down from the roller furler and folding it is hard on a smallish boat, and I cant easily do it on the moorings, so have to motor 45 minutes to pontoon. It also takes a time which could be more enjoyable used for more sailing, and fills up the saloon so we easily cant sit down. If I was rich enough or foolish enough to pay marina fees and had sail storage at home then that would be different. The new sacrificial strip was £230 and should last 5 years or more, and its job is to protect sail for me, not vice versa. Double gaskets round the sail in autumn or spring, and headsail off in January after our boxing day sail and back on in March, so any usage until then will need engine for motion and sailbags for seating.
    A boat is for going places

We do leave ours on as we sail all year round. Walking through the marina though it is shocking to see the amount of neglected boats though. And surprising how many both neglected and cherished just tied up with manky old bits of string.

We leave a genoa on all winter, but put on an old one and keep the good one in storage. Been through a number of F10+ over the years, but recognise that if got a F12 may not be so lucky.
    Dropping and folding a jib with vertical battens is too long and difficult job for us to do each time we go sailing.

Having had to go on board two boats this year and drop unfurled sails, I would say that most of the ones that come unfurled have not been stowed properly. And any boat with a foot or so of genoa clew visible certainly comes into that category - but that is often the majority of boats.
    I agree with BlowingOldBoots approach ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    When I roll away my genoa I stop and pull the sail tight on the sheets, about 4 times and finish with around 3 wraps of sheet, then pull the sheets tight and secure on their cleats. When pulling back on the sheets I always get about a 1' of sheet back as the sail pulls tight around the foil. There has to be a bit of effort to get the sail tight and secure on the foil.
    We also tie up the furling rope close to the stopper, so acts as a fall back on the stopper slipping.
    However, one boat this year had done everything right except that the furling rope chafed through. So now when leaving for a period we also hand tie the furler drum with an extra rope.

Some good tips picked up for extra security: tie (or lock) off the drum, stopper knot, spinnaker sheet wrap.
    "'...contradictions .... are deliberate exercises in doublethink." Orwell from 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    I Always remove all sails for the Winter, I also wash and hang up to dry for the Winter all the running rigging. Doesn’t take long to ‘mouse’ all the halyard runs ready for re- running the halyards in Spring.
    I do the same plus going up the mast and removing wind instruments and tri-light.

We always leave the genoa up and furled all Winter even though we sail during about 7 months of the year only, and often leave 4 months without visiting at all .

The reason is that even an apparently hosed and dried sail leaves a smell and sometimes mould in the cabin over months, and the cockpit lockers are already full of other smelly stuff including fuel cans and the asymmetric. We are not going to take the sails home by EasyJet or trust whichever random boatyard we are wintering in to look after them, which often isn't offered anyway.

The mitigation is as others have said - furl well so not even a corner is sticking out. Cleat and stop the furling line. Lock off the drum with another short line, and parcel up the sail with another line as high as I can reach (which alas isn't to the clew).

Decades of this practice has only once caused the boat to fall over on it's cradle, losing it's mast, destroying all internal furniture on one side and making a 3m hole in the side of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Having had to go on board two boats this year and drop unfurled sails, I would say that most of the ones that come unfurled have not been stowed properly. And any boat with a foot or so of genoa clew visible certainly comes into that category - but that is often the majority of boats.

...We also tie up the furling rope close to the stopper, so acts as a fall back on the stopper slipping.
    However, one boat this year had done everything right except that the furling rope chafed through. So now when leaving for a period we also hand tie the furler drum with an extra rope.
    The sailmakers' flap is good for business though!

Seriously, +1 to all that. Also carefully eyeball the entire leech for any sign of wear and then ensure it is kept evenly tight throughout the entire furl. For the tiniest of loose patches is all a big wind requires to get to work

Quote Originally Posted by Boathook View Post
    I do the same plus going up the mast and removing wind instruments and tri-light.
    With my previous boat which was hank on genoa I dropped the mast at the end of the season to service the gear at the head and gave all the standing rigging a good wash with fresh water and then stored under cover until Spring. My newer boat has a furling genoa so it is a little more difficult to drop the mast, I have this Winter as there is some maintenance to do but I probably won’t go to the extent of dropping the mast every year.
    As for sails they are sent away for washing and valeting.
    I empty the boat completely at the end of the season, it makes it easier to work on if required so don’t anticipate any mildew on kit left on board over the winter.
    Mind you SWMBO does complain that the spare bedroom becomes unuseable in the winter months with ‘all you boat rubbish’.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Decades of this practice has only once caused the boat to fall over on it's cradle, losing it's mast, destroying all internal furniture on one side and making a 3m hole in the side of the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    The mitigation is as others have said - furl well so not even a corner is sticking out. Cleat and stop the furling line. Lock off the drum with another short line, and parcel up the sail with another line as high as I can reach (which alas isn't to the clew).

FWIW, most of the South Coast marinas won't even lift a boat with a furled foresail.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast