Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Default Re: Do you remove your head sail?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    It seems an odd thing to pick out as a 'needless extravagance' - I have loads of needless extravagances - and if I didn't pay marina fees I wouldn't use my boat as much. If I can afford the fees I still don't see why it's foolish.
    I'm with you. I have my boat on a swinging mooring because I take her out three or four times per year and each return trip by dinghy to the mooring therefore saves me somewhere between 500 and 700. If I was using her weekly then by golly I'd have her on a pontoon and to hell with the cost.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    I don't suppose they get much wind up in your part of the world, but I have seen furled jibs come to grief when the wind has caught a small loose flap halfway up and found a weakness in the stitching, ripping the sail apart. This is why some of us use the spinnaker-halyard precaution.
    You are right - the West of Scotland is noted for the almost eery calms which prevail year round. That said, I am willing to take a chance with my jib.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Tightly rolled headsails with several wraps of sheet rarely unroll in storms .If you can reach pass a tie through the clew and tie off as double protection .

Put some tension on the sheet as you roll it up and a much tighter roll is possible making it much safer.

My boat is in commission 11 months /year .I always remove sails ,when the boat is stored ashore ,for safety in the cradle .sprayhoods and Dodgers should also come off for storm proofing .

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    You are right - the West of Scotland is noted for the almost eery calms which prevail year round. That said, I am willing to take a chance with my jib.
    There was that wee Hurricane Bawbag in 1968, but not a puff of wind since then.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Even if a furled headsail doesn’t unfurl in a strong wing, I don’t really understand the resistance to taking it off over Winter, after all why subject the UV strip or worse if no UV strip to 6 months of extra weathering and wear when dropping it at the end of the season doesn’t really take that long. Your sails are your engine, so isn’t it sensible to give them a service during the time the boats out of the water rather than just leaving them to suffer ice, sno, wnter gales etc?

Having looked at the latest weather forecast Im really glad my genoa is in its bag in the cabin.

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    Tightly rolled headsails with several wraps of sheet rarely unroll in storms .
    People can believe that if they want, I've seen it happen too many times.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxinoscope View Post
    Even if a furled headsail doesn’t unfurl in a strong wing, I don’t really understand the resistance to taking it off over Winter, after all why subject the UV strip or worse if no UV strip to 6 months of extra weathering and wear when dropping it at the end of the season doesn’t really take that long. Your sails are your engine, so isn’t it sensible to give them a service during the time the boats out of the water rather than just leaving them to suffer ice, sno, wnter gales etc?
    The issue is where to put it - cockpit lockers already full with smelly stuff I wouldn't like in the cabin and having once been foolish enough to put main and genoa in the cabin I don't want to spend huge amounts of time and some money getting all beds and towels and cabin linings cleaned of mould and smells instead of being sweet smelling. New strip every few years (or new sail if it gets baggy) is much less hassle and not much more cost.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    The issue is where to put it - cockpit lockers already full with smelly stuff I wouldn't like in the cabin and having once been foolish enough to put main and genoa in the cabin I don't want to spend huge amounts of time and some money getting all beds and towels and cabin linings cleaned of mould and smells instead of being sweet smelling. New strip every few years (or new sail if it gets baggy) is much less hassle and not much more cost.
    Where to put them? Take them home and store them in the loft, better still drop them off at the sailmaker get them washed and valeted, it really does extend their life.
    Last edited by Praxinoscope; 07-02-19 at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    I think this happen when people put it away before dealing with it first .
    We fill our dinghy up with a mix of vinager and wool light , we let it soak in if for some time then hang it up and give it a good wash with fresh water , let it dry then pack it away , it's them put in our front berth with every thing else we not going to use , next time we pull it out it smell fresh and it has nice soft cresses just like a new sail.
    It stands to reason if your useing the boat over winteryour not going to do all that ,
    Lots of people here say it's never happen to then and fingers cross it never will , but the once that it has happen too , I bet before they had the problem they would had said the same .
    What ever everone doesn't , hope your boat stay safe be it in a marina or no the hard .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast