Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: We Tried to Enter the Fastnet Race

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleKate View Post
    My advise if you want to do Fastnet is join RORC. Although the membership is £350 you do get discounts on all the races which in 2017 was £180 on Fastnet. Then this year you get £35 off per other race. You anyway need to do a few races to get your 300miles and I would advise to plan to do more as in 2017 boats with less miles were dropping out. So the net cost is probably less than £100.
    You can also take your nearest and dearest for a weekend at the London clubhouse and earn a few brownie points.

Very good points!

Thumbs up Re: We Tried to Enter the Fastnet Race

All good points, Kate.

Club membership fees also help support the RORCís work as one of the leaders in offshore racing. Consider it a small contribution to our sport.

With membership costs that high anyone would think yacht racing is a rich man's sport. I am supporting RORC by entering their races.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    With membership costs that high anyone would think yacht racing is a rich man's sport. I am supporting RORC by entering their races.
    I very distinctly remember sitting in the bar of the WMYC and hearing Don Pye pronounce "Anyone who can't afford to spend £4,000 a year on this sport shouldn't be in it!" This was 1973 iirc; I was a student and I owned a clapped old Dragon that had cost me £300. I concluded that offshore racing was not for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I very distinctly remember sitting in the bar of the WMYC and hearing Don Pye pronounce "Anyone who can't afford to spend £4,000 a year on this sport shouldn't be in it!" This was 1973 iirc; I was a student and I owned a clapped old Dragon that had cost me £300. I concluded that offshore racing was not for me!
    Queue the comment about tearing up fivers under a cold shower!
    DW

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    Whatever.

I note that you haven't responded to my request for evidence of your claim that preference is given to pay-for-play boats.

You could try something just a bit more challenging.

Join in the Jester Baltimore Challenge which starts from Plymouth, heads out around the Fastnet Rock, then looks into Baltimore just a few miles along the coast. The guys usually stop for the local town's Pirate's Party, but you could just do a 'dip' into the harbour and right back out again, then head straight back to Cowes.

Just a couple of points - that's a whole lot cheaper than the RORC's 'Fastnet Race'.... and you have to do it solo.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    You could try something just a bit more challenging.
    Different, yes but more challenging? I’m not sure I’d agree with that. Just getting to the Fastnet start line requires strict compliance with regulations and a successfully executed race qualification schedule that is agreed at the start of the season. Then there’s the business of getting out of the Solent with circa 350 other yachts all trying to do the same thing. Yes, I know they are all supposed to be going roughly the same way but that doesn’t make it any less hairy, especially when 2 handed.

In contrast the Jester challenge has next to no rules or compliance requirements, a comparatively low number of yachts and even the start day (and line) is moveable if you need it to be.

I’ve done a lot of solo sailing and I can assure you that, assuming your boat is setup, offshore solo sailing is much easier (and less depressing) than the equivalent fully crewed.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    Whatever.

I note that you haven't responded to my request for evidence of your claim that preference is given to pay-for-play boats.
    I haven't had time to look into it and won't have till next week.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjod View Post
    ...and a successfully executed race qualification schedule that is agreed at the start of the season.
    Unless you're military, who carry an exemption from doing the qualifying races. I should imagine that this is much to the intense annoyance of those paying crew on the sea school boats who've had to pay for the privelige of doing the qualifying races too.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast