Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: We Tried to Enter the Fastnet Race

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    Oh wait, is this the thread where the guy refuses to join the RORC and then complains about the RORC members getting first dibs in their race entries?

Oh great .. I'd heard about this thread, let me get my popcorn ...
    I didn't complain about RORC members getting priority. Try reading the thread before commenting.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

I'm unsure exactly what this thread is about!

The OP was upset that the RORC limits Fastnet entries to less than the number of boats that do the Round the Island. Perhaps that is/was his real complaint.

Then there was this:
    Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    One feature of the entry list is Sea School boats with paying crew. Should they take precedence over purely amateur entries?
    Which IMHO was misleading and unnecessary inflammatory. It's really no different from saying: "One feature of the entry list is foreign-flagged yachts. Should they take precedence over British entries?" To which the (same) answer is: they don't.
    Last edited by Walther; 12-02-19 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    I'm unsure exactly what this thread is about!

The OP was upset that the RORC limits Fastnet entries to less than the number of boats that do the Round the Island. Perhaps that is/was his real complaint.

Then there was this:

Which IMHO was misleading and unnecessary inflammatory. It's really no different from saying: "One feature of the entry list is foreign-flagged yachts. Should they take precedence over British entries?" To which the (same) answer is: they don't.
    It's inflammatory to those that want to be inflamed.

My point is that the allowed entry is very small.

It's inflammatory to those that want to be inflamed.

My point is that the allowed entry is very small.
    A club organises a race. All the club members who want to race are able to do so. Seems fair.

They kindly offer to let some non members join in their race. This is a privilege not a right. And in limited numbers. Again seems fair.

If competing in the race, then joining the club is good value (as a wise poster noted earlier). And if want to be sure of getting a place in the club’s race, being a member will achieve this. Seems fair.

If not prepared to join the club, won’t get the benefits. (Sounds familiar - might get moved to another place ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleKate View Post
    My advise if you want to do Fastnet is join RORC. Although the membership is £350 you do get discounts on all the races which in 2017 was £180 on Fastnet. Then this year you get £35 off per other race. You anyway need to do a few races to get your 300miles and I would advise to plan to do more as in 2017 boats with less miles were dropping out. So the net cost is probably less than £100.
    You can also take your nearest and dearest for a weekend at the London clubhouse and earn a few brownie points.
    It's not just £350, there's a joining fee of about £17. It's not possible to join after the opening date and jump the queue anyway.

A whole £17?

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    A club organises a race. All the club members who want to race are able to do so. Seems fair.

They kindly offer to let some non-members join in their race. This is a privilege not a right. And in limited numbers. Again seems fair.

If competing in the race, then joining the club is good value (as a wise poster noted earlier). And if want to be sure of getting a place in the club’s race, being a member will achieve this. Seems fair.
    Well said.

The OP has effectively conceded that the only purpose of this thread is to carp about the perceived unfairness of paying a trivial amount to obtain the privilege he desires. The mind boggles.

Quote Originally Posted by rszemeti View Post
    A whole £17?
    £175 not £17

Quote Originally Posted by Walther View Post
    Well said.

The OP has effectively conceded that the only purpose of this thread is to carp about the perceived unfairness of paying a trivial amount to obtain the privilege he desires. The mind boggles.
    Whatever. It might be a trivial amount of money in your view to enter the race or join RORC ( It's definitely more to do both) but it isn't trivial to me.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

£175 not £17

Whatever. It might be a trivial amount of money in your view to enter the race or join RORC ( It's definitely more to do both) but it isn't trivial to me.
    Time for one of my favourite sailing lines.

“If you can’t afford to spend £4,000 a year on this sport (offshore racing) you shouldn’t be in it!

Don Pye, as in “Holman and”, bar of WMYC, 1972.

I took his advice and confined my offshore racing to OPBs.

There is a more interesting underlying point here. Whilst a lot of club sailing and smaller events are struggling for numbers, the Fastnet is fairly unique as a flagship "bucket list" event that is phenomenally successful and having no problems getting entries (4 and a bit minutes for the entries to be filled!). RORC have done well to build an iconic franchise.....but they do seem to be cashing in. In 2009 entry fee was £405, 2019 it is £758. A real 40% increase after inflation. We have done the last 7 Fastnets and make sure we get our entry in the first minute they are opened, but if it we end up having to join RORC to get a place then that is effectively an extra £300-400 on entry cost ( you get a chunk back in race fee discounts in a Fastnet year but on the non-Fastnet year I am paying for a membership I am unlikely to use).

I am torn on this, on one hand I think good on them, they have built a great event and hardly blame them for finding a price the market can bear (as evidenced by the entry numbers). On the other hand I do feel vaguely exploited and wonder at what point as an amateur team we will get priced out of the event.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast