Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

Quote Originally Posted by oldmanofthehills View Post
    I understand that some big boats turn of class B AIS reception to reduce clutter - they shouldn't but I have been informed that they do. Unless things change leisure boats will not have class A due to cost, power requirements etc. Class A transponder is 1500 but Class B transponder is still 500. Class A transmit requirements can also bump class B data slot, leaving class B as incorrect/invisible until next slot
    I did cover that in #56. However, switching on AIS can only ever increase your chances of not being hit. As there is no downside to switching it on, you might as well do it 'cos everything else should already be in place anyway.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I did cover that in #56. However, switching on AIS can only ever increase your chances of not being hit. As there is no downside to switching it on, you might as well do it 'cos everything else should already be in place anyway.

Richard
    I have sailed on a boat where I felt the skipper thought he was invulnerable due to transmitting AIS. Coupled with a mildly shaky understand of colregs, it's not always a cure-all.
    As the bowman put it, every ship in the channel knows some **** can't steer a proper course.
    No doubt if we had hit anything, there would have been archived data pointing the finger our way....

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    You have just proved two things. One is that you don’t have a clue about how the IMO goes about making regulations.
    You are correct. I am probably not the only one. Perhaps you could enlighten us! ( about the IMO that is!!!)
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I have sailed on a boat where I felt the skipper thought he was invulnerable due to transmitting AIS. Coupled with a mildly shaky understand of colregs, it's not always a cure-all.
    I can't imagine that anyone on here has ever suggested, or would ever suggest, that AIS is ever a cure-all, as that would imply holding the ludicrous belief that all vessels are even fitted with AIS.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    Yes, it has also been repeated, several times, over the years in the yachting press. Frank Holden's posts are a valuable reminder for us.

If it this is not thought useful, I can only put it down to a strain of corporate madness that seems to afflict the forum now and again.
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    I don't believe there are a lot of incidents where the real key issue is the height of a yacht's lights.
    Thread on here a while back of an anchored boat hit and seriously damaged by a fishing boat in Stokes Bay (just west of Portsmouth for those overseas).

With the benefit of hindsight, the solitary masthead anchor light was most likely lost amidst the shoreside lights. I understand the vessel's owner now backs this up with deck level lights which cast a soft light on the superstructure and rigging.

That's certainly what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Thread on here a while back of an anchored boat hit and seriously damaged by a fishing boat in Stokes Bay (just west of Portsmouth for those overseas).

With the benefit of hindsight, the solitary masthead anchor light was most likely lost amidst the shoreside lights. I understand the vessel's owner now backs this up with deck level lights which cast a soft light on the superstructure and rigging.

That's certainly what I do.
    Stokes Bay is a place I know well.
    A brightly lit road along the shore.
    Houses and streetlights behind.
    The lights of Portsmouth ahead.
    There is a tendency for small fishing boats to be traversing on autopilot while sorting out their gear.
    It's not really comonly used as an anchorage.

Places like this, you need a lot more than a single 10W all-round white, you need to show the shape of your boat. A single lamp hidden by your mast over a significant arc (traffic is quite likely going either up tide or down) is a particularly poor idea.

A mate I used to sail with had a boat with dark blue topsides. We fitted some orange LEDs under the boom and under the spreaders, which made the shape of the boat obvious without being offensively bright or heavy on current.

I probably still wouldn't anchor in the middle of Stokes Bay though, anyone who's raced dinghies there will tell you it can be quite busy. The inshore fishing boats want to cheat the tide just as much as we do! Plus there are always boats going from Portsmouth to Cowes or back at all hours.

I think someone had a good go at hitting the USS Nimitz when it was parked further out in Stokes Bay, and that wasn't short of a light or two!

Show whatever lights you like so long as thiey are the one of the correct options for lights for your vessel.

Personally. I choose to have correctly shaded individual side lights on the pulpit along with a stern light on the push pit.
    With a masthead light combined fore deck flood light.
    The lights are not obscured by my sails.
    It doesn’t affect my night vision at all.
    I have an anchor light at the top of the mast which is slightly better than useless, so I choose to hang a small battery led all round white from the fore stay about eye level 5ft ish abouve the fore deck. In place of the old oil lamp I can’t be bothered to clean,
    I also carry a set of small battery led emergency Nav lights as back up JIK one of my Nav lights fails. They are a set of combined side lights and an all round white. A little bit of electrical tape turns it into a stern light.
    I also have a radar reflector as required.

I prefere not to use a tri light. My personal opinion.

Some years ago I was traveling on a local ferry. Living on an island I do so regularly. I often like to sit or stand up forward and watch the world go by. It was a late night sailing.
    I happened to see a red light to starboard. I thought was far away. I didn’t think anything of it. Until the ferry suddenly took evasive action going full astern.
    I saw the Red light light go white then Green extremely close to the Starboard. It was a sail boat with a tri light. No back ground light ashore just a dark night.
    I am sure if thevsail boat had not taken a round turn at the last moment the ferry would have run it down.
    The ferry obviously ither hadn’t seen the sailboat until they were almost on top if it. Or like me they thought it was still far away.

My guess shorts had to be changed on both vessels.

So I agree with Minn & his friend Frank.

My boat my choice. I sail at night quite regularly. I don’t use the tri light.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 12-02-19 at 12:09.

Oh look.... another one.... interesting that her lights were only 5 years old...
    https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/25004/mair12_001.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    Oh look.... another one.... interesting that her lights were only 5 years old...
    https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/25004/mair12_001.pdf
    1985!

As an author of technical documentation I would consider that as being from the dark ages, I work in a safety critical industry and if I had to go back that far I'd consider the activity to be safe.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast