Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011
Results 101 to 105 of 105
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Solent, UK
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

    When I was an apprentice, learning to ride my first motorbike, one of the local Hells Angels grabbed me by the collar when I'd wobbled into the car park narrowly missing a post office van on the way out and passed on this pearl of wisdom (suitably edited for publication).

    "When ever you venture out on two wheels, you must do so on the assumption that every one else on the road is a homicidal maniac intent on your destruction and treat them with appropriate care. They May not be, in fact most are not, but carry on like you were a couple of minutes ago and the chances that you will not be prepared when you do meet one."

    It is a principle that has kept me mostly safe on the roads for over 50 years and I apply the same principle when out on my boat.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,225

    Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

    Exceptionally sound advice.

    I was never a bold motorcyclist but I have now stopped being an old motorcyclist.
    Last edited by Minn; 15-02-19 at 16:43.

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    18,876

    Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    "When ever you venture out on two wheels, you must do so on the assumption that every one else on the road is a homicidal maniac intent on your destruction and treat them with appropriate care. They May not be, in fact most are not, but carry on like you were a couple of minutes ago and the chances that you will not be prepared when you do meet one."
    Curiously enough when I brief staff for events I run at an Outdoor Centre just off Snake Pass, I tell them "You must assume that over every crest and round every bend lurks a motorcylist doing twice the speed limit on the wrong side of the road and to hell with the double white lines. If one of them kills himself on your car you should feel no guilt or remorse, but there will be a certain amount of paperwork in those circumstances and so it is best to try to avoid them where reasonably possible."

    In the old days it would have been the impetuousness of youth which led bikers to behave like that, but from what I see at the cafés and pubs where they congregate it's more likely to be presbyopia and twinges of arthritis. If there are any bikers under seventy they keep themselves well hidden.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    21,535

    Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

    Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    In the old days it would have been the impetuousness of youth which led bikers to behave like that, but from what I see at the cafés and pubs where they congregate it's more likely to be presbyopia and twinges of arthritis. If there are any bikers under seventy they keep themselves well hidden.
    We used to have a lot around here but I think that most of them have flattened themselves on trees, thus giving their families a chance to tell us what wonderful lads they were.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SW Scotland
    Posts
    18,876

    Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

    Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    We used to have a lot around here but I think that most of them have flattened themselves on trees, thus giving their families a chance to tell us what wonderful lads they were.
    Round here they squash themselves in debadged Ford Fiestas.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to