Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011

Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

When I was an apprentice, learning to ride my first motorbike, one of the local Hells Angels grabbed me by the collar when I'd wobbled into the car park narrowly missing a post office van on the way out and passed on this pearl of wisdom (suitably edited for publication).

"When ever you venture out on two wheels, you must do so on the assumption that every one else on the road is a homicidal maniac intent on your destruction and treat them with appropriate care. They May not be, in fact most are not, but carry on like you were a couple of minutes ago and the chances that you will not be prepared when you do meet one."

It is a principle that has kept me mostly safe on the roads for over 50 years and I apply the same principle when out on my boat.
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Exceptionally sound advice.

I was never a bold motorcyclist but I have now stopped being an old motorcyclist.
    Last edited by Minn; 15-02-19 at 16:43.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat47 View Post
    "When ever you venture out on two wheels, you must do so on the assumption that every one else on the road is a homicidal maniac intent on your destruction and treat them with appropriate care. They May not be, in fact most are not, but carry on like you were a couple of minutes ago and the chances that you will not be prepared when you do meet one."
    Curiously enough when I brief staff for events I run at an Outdoor Centre just off Snake Pass, I tell them "You must assume that over every crest and round every bend lurks a motorcylist doing twice the speed limit on the wrong side of the road and to hell with the double white lines. If one of them kills himself on your car you should feel no guilt or remorse, but there will be a certain amount of paperwork in those circumstances and so it is best to try to avoid them where reasonably possible."

In the old days it would have been the impetuousness of youth which led bikers to behave like that, but from what I see at the cafés and pubs where they congregate it's more likely to be presbyopia and twinges of arthritis. If there are any bikers under seventy they keep themselves well hidden.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    In the old days it would have been the impetuousness of youth which led bikers to behave like that, but from what I see at the cafés and pubs where they congregate it's more likely to be presbyopia and twinges of arthritis. If there are any bikers under seventy they keep themselves well hidden.
    We used to have a lot around here but I think that most of them have flattened themselves on trees, thus giving their families a chance to tell us what wonderful lads they were.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by johnalison View Post
    We used to have a lot around here but I think that most of them have flattened themselves on trees, thus giving their families a chance to tell us what wonderful lads they were.
    Round here they squash themselves in debadged Ford Fiestas.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011