Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Lights while sailing at night

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    That when you are close to the land there is a very high probability that your trilight will not be seen by watchkeepers on commercial ships.....
    ...as they are sitting in a comfy chair with a hot cup of cocoa in hand.

Then they are are not doing their jobs.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Which proves what?
    That if you are very careful about when you take pictures of yachts, you can get their mastheads lined up with the shore. The second one show how that can make a masthead light more visible than a deck level one.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Would any others?
    How do we know that they were showing tri lights if you could not see them? The one motoring would/should have been showing deck lights & they are not visible either.
    Sigh.... You are meant to use a bit of imagination here.... bit hard taking photos to illustrate my point in the dark... esp if you can't see the lights...

If any of the yachts in those photos ( with one exception ) was showing just a tri they would be invisible.... if they were showing lights on the pulpit or taffrail the light would be showing against a backdrop of black.... and would be easily spotted.

Also... on these particular arrivals into this particular port we are approaching a major city... Melbourne, Straya, Jewel in Queen Victoria's Crown, richest city in the Empire, etc.... so lots of tall buildings , lots of lights...

Now, contrary to popular belief the watch - in clear vis - does not have their noses stuck in the ECDIS... they are actually looking out the windows...
    So consider the photo top left and lets imagine that these yachts are on my starboard bow... maybe 2 points...lets assume the yacht on the right - which as you point out is motoring - is actually sailing and showing a trilight. Got to do a little bit of 'pretends' here...
    Trilightsdos.jpg
    So we see a red light... which is on the boat on the left which in this scenario is showing lights at deck level... steady bearing....
    A quick look at radar and AIS.... sure enough there is indeed something there ( not all yachts run AIS...not all yachts show up on radar) ... maybe a mile off...so we haul around to starboard to pass close astern of her..... can't give her a mile or anything fancy... maybe 100 metres or even less.... as we are in pilotage waters and are shaping up for the Port Melbourne Channel.... have to cut it pretty fine...

This isn't just me making stuff up... my last day(?) job of 18 years involved arriving in that port in the dark for 6 months of the year and also - indeed quite often - sailing in the dark as well. It only took me a few days of daylight arrivals and departures to get those shots....

Anyway... do as you please... matters not to me....

You know... on a big ship you don't even feel the bump...

'Hey Captain, do you want a trilight and a windex and stuff?'

Just kidding... we had the anchor jammed in the hawse... sometimes happens when you are working to windward at 18 knots into a bit of a Bass Strait gale...
    DCP_0078.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Holden View Post
    That when you are close to the land there is a very high probability that your trilight will not be seen by watchkeepers on commercial ships.....
    Neither will you other lights either.
    I've been a watchkeeper on commercial vessels & trust me little time is taken gazing out of windows, the instruments are receiving all attention.

Perhaps a decent radar reflector is more useful than worrying about which lights to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    Perhaps a decent radar reflector is more useful than worrying about which lights to use.
    Or flip on that AIS transceiver switch, crack open a bottle ..... and relax.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Wader View Post
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    +1!

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post

Richard
    Yes, that as well.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I have read this thread slowly, calmly, and carefully.

I will declare an interest: I know Frank Holden; he has sailed on the East Coast with me on my ex boat some years ago on his last visit to Blighty. Frank followed his father to sea and spent a full career at sea, mostly as Master of course, the last fifteen years being as Master of the big red thing in his pictures which was a Bass Strait ferry so in and out of yacht infested harbours very regularly, and both before, and more particularly since, retiring he has done a phenomenal amount of sailing in successively a Vertue and a now much rebuilt Oceanlord.

To those who have taken issue with him here, I will just say, in the words of Oliver Cromwell, “I beseech you in the bowels of Christ - consider that you may be mistaken!”
    Last edited by Minn; 11-02-19 at 13:31.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast