Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Life Jackets and Ryanair

Was pleasantly surprised today. Flying home from Faro on Ryanair, did a delivery last November and had to get two self inflating life jackets home. Did a check on the Ryanair website and it said you can take them hold or cabin baggage complete with CO2 bottles. So I took the CO2 bottles off but kept them in the LJ bags. I put the two of them in a supermkt carrier bag for life, they were in zipped bags as well. Off we went, they looked at them in security but that was it! Safely home now!

Default Re: Life Jackets and Ryanair

I've just e-mailed Michael O'Leary. It'll be 10 each the next time.

Hi, what a coincidence - I was just googling this very thing. I'm off to Croatia soon sailing on a pals boat via Ryanair. I can't seem to find the link on their website - could you link to it so I can print it in case of any queries en route.

Many thanks!

As long as airport security let it through! I had the bottles taken off me at Girona.

Just unscrew the gas bottle and put the life jacket in your hold luggage

Just tell them you do not want to pay extra for one of theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino_mac View Post
    Hi, what a coincidence - I was just googling this very thing. I'm off to Croatia soon sailing on a pals boat via Ryanair. I can't seem to find the link on their website - could you link to it so I can print it in case of any queries en route.

Many thanks!
    https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful...stricted-items

Quote Originally Posted by rhino_mac View Post
    Many thanks!
    As ever the flaw with these threads is that the security checks and decisions are not made by the airlines at all, but the airport security guards. And at the end of the long official list of prohibited items, there is a catch all that basically says the security staff can decide to refuse anything if they think it is a risk.
    We have taken lifejackets with removed gas cylinders in hold bags a few times, but I always take the cylinders out - for safety and also to avoid losing expensive lifejackets if we get a security officer deciding not to let them through.

When we took ours out to Gib a couple of years ago, the first security were not sure we could take them, they called their supervisor and he know straight away and let us through. We did have a print out of the CAA guidance and RYA info as well. We had them in one bag and had to split to one each in hand luggage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast