Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 102

Thread: Tether Hooks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    4,885

    Default Tether Hooks

    As a change from Anchors (and anchoring)

    I wondered how people's perceptions of tethers and tether hooks, on safety harnessses, might have developed over the last 12 months.

    Pertinently I further wondered if anyone had retired (destroyed, ensured they were never used again) any item of 'tether equipment' (whole tether, jacklines, hook, jackline securement point).

    Jonathan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    35,851

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    I took the old webbing jackline and made a set of straps to tie my dinghy on its trailer.
    Our tethers still look like new. They don't see a lot of wear or sunlight.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Me - Zumerzet Boat - Wareham
    Posts
    11,874

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Quote Originally Posted by Neeves View Post
    Pertinently I further wondered if anyone had retired (destroyed, ensured they were never used again) any item of 'tether equipment' (whole tether, jacklines, hook, jackline securement point).
    No
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland
    Posts
    1,727

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    My tethers have spent the last year or two in a cupboard onboard. They have not been used for years.
    In normal weather I consider they are more trouble than they are worth and therefore only come out in a gale or worse.......and I try hard not to "do" gales these days.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    35,851

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Quote Originally Posted by mainsail1 View Post
    My tethers have spent the last year or two in a cupboard onboard. They have not been used for years.
    In normal weather I consider they are more trouble than they are worth and therefore only come out in a gale or worse.......and I try hard not to "do" gales these days.
    We get ours out so they are immediately available at night or if expecting anything rough, particularly short handed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    1,402

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Quote Originally Posted by lw395 View Post
    We get ours out so they are immediately available at night or if expecting anything rough, particularly short handed.
    Was there not an article last year in PBO ( I might be mistaken) but how certain makes of tether hooks did not open or got jammed , or was it they opened (brain fog)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,281

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Jacklines on new-to-me boat are kaput and condemned. I always used to take mine below when I left the ex boat on her mooring but maybe that's a bit fussy. Even so, when laying up you would expect them to be taken off. Tethers last a long time but I would't trust either the tethers or the hooks on the early 1970's harnesses that for some reason I still keep.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,281

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Quote Originally Posted by moomba View Post
    Was there not an article last year in PBO ( I might be mistaken) but how certain makes of tether hooks did not open or got jammed , or was it they opened (brain fog)
    Yes, they can twist open if snagged on a deck fitting. Forgot the details.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    UK East Coast
    Posts
    35,231

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    Yes, they can twist open if snagged on a deck fitting. Forgot the details.
    The MAIB reported on an accident in the Indian Ocean, in which a Gibb-style harness hook released after lateral loading caused it to deform. See http://www.mysailing.com.au/gear/saf...sailing-yachts

    Practical Sailor did an article on harness hooks - see https://www.practical-sailor.com/blo...s-12344-1.html

    I use, and like, the Gibb-style hooks, as they are easily used one-handed, even with gloves on. With care, I hope that the circumstances in which they might be subjected to lateral loading can be avoided.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
    Posts
    8,281

    Default Re: Tether Hooks

    Thank you. Like you I use the Gibb ones.

    We could debate the choice of attachment at the harness end of the tether...

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest YBW News

Find Boats For Sale

to
to