Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Tether Hooks

Default Re: Tether Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    This is a good and timely thread. The comments by Moomba and I are probably typical of the level of understanding here.

By the way, I’ve forgotten why we use webbing, not rope, for tethers. Can someone remind me?
    1. You can put elastic inside the webbing, making it self-retracting, which keeps it out from under foot.
    2. Webbing is less slippery if you step on it.

I've used climbing rope (UIAA half-rope, about 7-8mm) before. The terminations are tricky and it can be under foot, but the shock absorption is MUCH better. I wish there was a webbing that could come close.

And webbing is easy to sew (and I suspect cheaper to make loops etc) and when sewn is less bulky.

There is webbing and webbing, some is hollow (tube like) and some 'flat'. I used to use hollow webbing climbing - I've never looked in chandlers. We use flat tape for the jacklines, dyneema tube (Nautilus Braids, NZ) for abrasion covers, and dyneema tube with the sheets sewn (by hand, dyneema fishing line as thread) into each end, leaving the centre section empty, to allow a flat cow hitch on the clew.

Thinwater

I know you have done some sewing tests - how about 7-8mm climbing rope with sewn loops or sewn into hollow tape and then the tape sewn to make the loop - as the tether?

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 10-02-19 at 02:03.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

I’ve been looking at the Proline tethers. Jolly nice, but .. ouch! $$€€££!!!

One can pretty much put a nought on the price of an “ordinary” three hook tether.

Which makes me think that if you are a Keen Crew, who turns up with your own PLB, etc., you will routinely buy one along with your top of the range LJ, and because there is one of you, you don’t mind the expense, but if you are an owner, ever keen to shark up a list of lawless resolutes, you are more likely to equip the boat with “ordinary” tethers, along with “ordinary” LJs. and such.
    Last edited by Minn; 10-02-19 at 05:14.

I’ve been looking at the Proline tethers. Jolly nice, but .. ouch! $$€€££!!!

One can pretty much put a nought on the price of an “ordinary” three hook tether.

Which makes me think that if you are a Keen Crew, who turns up with your own PLB, etc., you will routinely buy one along with your top of the range LJ, and because there is one of you, you don’t mind the expense, but if you are an owner, ever keen to shark up a list of lawless resolutes, you are more likely to equip the boat with “ordinary” tethers, along with “ordinary” LJs. and such.
    I have wondered along the same lines.....???

Except how would that stack up if you did lose someone - you knew, or should have known that the ordinary tethers were inadequate - after all, I started the thread and you have posted, as have a few others - and as owner/skipper - I must have that 'duty of care'

Jonathan
    Last edited by Neeves; 10-02-19 at 06:29.

I’m looking at five tethers and really not wanting to spend £1,000!

I think I am going to recycle my four old Gibb hooks on the jackstay ends and recycle two of the newer ones on the human ends... voila, two decent tethers... it’s a start!

I’m looking at five tethers and really not wanting to spend £1,000!

I think I am going to recycle my four old Gibb hooks on the jackstay ends and recycle two of the newer ones on the human ends... voila, two decent tethers... it’s a start!
    I said I like the Proline tethers. I didn't say they were the best value or that they are safer than any of the newer tethers.
    * Spinlock Performance. About $200 for 3-clip. They use the Kong clips and are used on the VOR boats.
    * Kong. About $100 for 3-clip. A bargain, probably because they make 100 times more climbing equipment than all of the marine manufacturers combined. And they make the clips for most of the marine guys. Also a lot of industrial climbing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
    I said I like the Proline tethers. I didn't say they were the best value or that they are safer than any of the newer tethers.
    * Spinlock Performance. About $200 for 3-clip. They use the Kong clips and are used on the VOR boats.
    * Kong. About $100 for 3-clip. A bargain, probably because they make 100 times more climbing equipment than all of the marine manufacturers combined. And they make the clips for most of the marine guys. Also a lot of industrial climbing gear.
    For those of us in the UK I have found that the Spinlock Performance prices are here https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...e-safety-lines
    3 clip Performance £92
    Having difficulty finding the supplier/prices for the elastic double tether https://www.kong.it/en/2-products/it...etherevodouble Does anyone know a UK supplier?
    However I have found a source of the Tango Carabiner without webbing for just £17 https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/kong-ei...7d7fc8b51d7b4d

TudorSailor

Edit: Now found that Proboat http://www.proboat.co.uk/ sell the Proline WD-7034 at £232.50 + vat each
    Last edited by tudorsailor; 11-02-19 at 19:21.

Yes, they can twist open if snagged on a deck fitting. Forgot the details.
    Frighteningly a couple of years ago after reading about how easily hooks could disconnect, I clipped a carabiner onto a safety line securing point, and just flicking the safety line loosely could disconnect the carabiner. Other crew members were equally astonished.
    Needless to say, none of these carabiner hooks are allowed on the boat any more and like others I now use the Gibb style.

Quote Originally Posted by tudorsailor View Post
    For those of us in the UK I have found that the Spinlock Performance prices are here https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...e-safety-lines
    3 clip Performance £92
    Having difficulty finding the supplier/prices for the elastic double tether https://www.kong.it/en/2-products/it...etherevodouble Does anyone know a UK supplier?
    However I have found a source of the Tango Carabiner without webbing for just £17 https://www.alpinetrek.co.uk/kong-ei...7d7fc8b51d7b4d

TudorSailor
    Thank you; that is really helpful.

[QUOTE=DipperToo;6698390]Frighteningly a couple of years ago after reading about how easily hooks could disconnect, I clipped a carabiner onto a safety line securing point, and just flicking the safety line loosely could disconnect the carabiner. Other crew members were equally astonished.
    Needless to say, none of these carabiner hooks are allowed on the boat any more and like others I now use the Gibb style.

Unfortunately, the Splinlock hook can rotate off under hand pressure too. This video is chilling to watch. The U-bolt meets the dimensions specified in the ISO standard the carabiner is required to meet.
    https://youtu.be/CbyhyC7ua8g
    Last edited by thinwater; 11-02-19 at 14:42.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast