Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Selling / Buying / Part exchange

So the sad day has come to sell my rather special Hunter Channel 31 so I've recently advertised her on the yachtmarket but am also looking at part exchanges. I'm talking with two brands/dealers and putting aside the varying p/x offers (which get muddled by the margin available or otherwise in the new boat) and I missing something? It seems they offer me a price and if they sell her above that price, that difference goes into the new boat (or back to me if the boat has otherwise been paid and delivered by then).

But If they guarantee to give me "x" for my boat, presumably there is absolutely zero incentive for them to sell her above "x" and every incentive for them to sell her for "X" at the very earliest opportunity in order to reduce their exposure. Obviously I understand they too are taking a risk, so I'm not looking for all the arguments around it being a balance. I guess I just wanted to check whether I was missing some other benefit or other way of looking at it?

Also, where else would you suggest advertising a boat, other than the yachtmarket

Cheers

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.

Default Re: Selling / Buying / Part exchange

You could always say what boat it is and what sort of condition it’s in rather than just saying “I’m selling my boat” and post it on a yachting forum.

Facebook/eBay
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

Apolio duck got me quite a lot of coverage, I build my own web site and also made a video then took a ad out in the yacht market and apolio duck , the video was a big help , plenty of close filming of the top sides and the wood work in side help to show how well the boat been kept .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

You're not likely to get the best deal by part-exchanging, but it's a very easy way of moving from one boat to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    You're not likely to get the best deal by part-exchanging, but it's a very easy way of moving from one boat to the next.
    Not too sure if I agee with that I PX a boat in 2008 for a new Dufour 385 and got what I paid for 13 years early , it was also 15k above the same boat year and valve on the market at that time , mind you the Dufour cost me a pretty penny .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Not too sure if I agee with that I PX a boat in 2008 for a new Dufour 385 and got what I paid for 13 years early , it was also 15k above the same boat year and valve on the market at that time , mind you the Dufour cost me a pretty penny .
    If you hadn't part-exchanged, you could have got a bigger discount on the new boat.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1 View Post
    So the sad day has come to sell my rather special Hunter Channel 31 so I've recently advertised her on the yachtmarket but am also looking at part exchanges. I'm talking with two brands/dealers and putting aside the varying p/x offers (which get muddled by the margin available or otherwise in the new boat) and I missing something? It seems they offer me a price and if they sell her above that price, that difference goes into the new boat (or back to me if the boat has otherwise been paid and delivered by then).

But If they guarantee to give me "x" for my boat, presumably there is absolutely zero incentive for them to sell her above "x" and every incentive for them to sell her for "X" at the very earliest opportunity in order to reduce their exposure. Obviously I understand they too are taking a risk, so I'm not looking for all the arguments around it being a balance. I guess I just wanted to check whether I was missing some other benefit or other way of looking at it?

Also, where else would you suggest advertising a boat, other than the yachtmarket

Cheers
    Matt
    You need to be clear whether the people you are talking to will act as a BROKER or as a DEALER.
    Brokers are acting as agents, usually for a Seller. They take no principal risk but should act in the best interests of their client, ie to secure the best price possible for the seller. They are remunerated by commission based usually on the price achieved.
    Dealers are acting as principals, ie for themselves. If they offer a price for your boat, then you will be selling to them. They will hope to make a profit later by selling your boat on at a higher price. This is definitely risk-taking! In a p/x deal, the dealer will be mentally combining the two transactions together and hoping to make an overall profit. In practice (and I say this from experience!) unless the dealer is careful he winds up taking less and less attractive boats in and ends up with a scrap heap clunker.
    Big advantage for you of a p/x deal is speed and certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Facebook/eBay
    Good idea about the video - like car dealers do now. Hadn't thought of that

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Matt
    You need to be clear whether the people you are talking to will act as a BROKER or as a DEALER.
    Brokers are acting as agents, usually for a Seller. They take no principal risk but should act in the best interests of their client, ie to secure the best price possible for the seller. They are remunerated by commission based usually on the price achieved.
    Dealers are acting as principals, ie for themselves. If they offer a price for your boat, then you will be selling to them. They will hope to make a profit later by selling your boat on at a higher price. This is definitely risk-taking! In a p/x deal, the dealer will be mentally combining the two transactions together and hoping to make an overall profit. In practice (and I say this from experience!) unless the dealer is careful he winds up taking less and less attractive boats in and ends up with a scrap heap clunker.
    Big advantage for you of a p/x deal is speed and certainty.
    The trouble is many of the new dealers either do brokerage as well, or are allied to a subsidiary that does brokerage. So it becomes hard to know where their true motives lie. I'm not having a go at dealers or brokers. One of them I am dealing with is excellent, I'm genuinely trying to understand if there is a better way (other than selling yourself ahead of talking to dealers). I take the point about speed and certainty and of course you have to weigh that up, particularly if the p/x is against a discounted stock boat the dealer is keen to shift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast