Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Selling / Buying / Part exchange

The clue is in the OP's first sentence!!

"So the sad day has come to sell my rather special Hunter Channel 31"
    Quote Originally Posted by Just_sayin' View Post
    You could always say what boat it is and what sort of condition it’s in rather than just saying “I’m selling my boat” and post it on a yachting forum.

My Dufour was a part exchange on a new boat.

I think they were hoping to get more for it but it had been on the market a while so I made a cheeky offer and got it.

The p/x price given and the price paid for the new boat is academic. It is the price to change that counts. A dealer with stock is paying floorplan interest, curtailments after the boat is in stock for a while, and tying up cash. They want to downsize and move their new stock on. Stock turnaround is key to bottom line margins. Also, the larger dealers handling main brands are target driven. Like the car trade they get retrospective bonus payments when volume targets are hit. Dealers offering p/x's will usually achieve higher turnover and bonus payments and can actually give very fair p/x offers. Smaller dealers may not have the financial ability to chase turnover margin, and have no choice but to go for higher margin deals, with less favourable p/x offers. It is worth shopping around, especially against boats actually in dealer stock. Fundamentally, the sales guys want to do a deal, even if at the expense of margin!!!

Honey monster is right about the manufacturers bonuses to dealers if they hit volume targets. If you are negotiating with a dealer who is trying to sell you a new boat, it could be worthwhile finding out the year end for the target scheme. If a marginal boat sale achieves the target and triggers the bonus, the dealer may be pressured into selling it at a very big discount.

I did the same deal to buy our current boat.

Ancasta underwrote my ‘trade in’ at a fair trade price but had it for sale on their brokerage for about 4 or 5 months before our new boat arrived. We discussed the price that it would be advertised on their brokerage and agreed the wording/pics on the advert.

It sold after about a month or two, at a higher price than the agreed trade in price (about 10%). I can’t remember what the brokerage fee was but it was at their minimum and I still came about about £4-5k better than I thought that I would when we first did the deal.

It’s not for everyone, but it works if the figures (price of new boat and underwritten price of trade in) are agreeable to you, and you want to commit to the new boat and have it available at a certain time. It also can expose you to a bit of upside if the trade in sells for more.

Garold

Iíve part exchanged twice. Once against a 3 year boat and, 7 years later, that one against new.

In both cases the only important figure was the cheque I wrote before taking delivery. Both deals seemed very fair to me and I didnít have the extra hassle of having to sell (which is a real bonus after reading a current thread )

Thanks Everyone ;-)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12