Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Bristol to Essex

No-one has mentioned the (mast down) inland route via Kennet and Avon canal and Thames, feasible in all weathers subject to beam and draft limitations of course. I seem to remember a Dick Durham article about doing this.

Too much beam for the in!and route. With all this wind i did think of it !

Ok so I've been thinking again, always a bad thing, but with wind direction NOT strength would it be worth a day sail to Swansea overnight there then leave again with the tide and make straight to lands end of is this a bad idea, local knowledge could help here, or an i over thinking things ?

I'm planning Newport to Plymouth in May and been talking to the boys at the club

I'm looking at a ...

Hop to Barry and wait for the tide.

Barry to Ilfracombe if all is well and then push the tide to Padstow. (and if we're feeling good push on round the corner to Newlyn unless we have to anchor in St Ives for a rest)

Padstow to Falmouth or Ilfracombe to Newlyn then Newlyn to Falmouth

Falmouth to Plymouth.
    If you can take ground or don't mind anchoring off I would have thought Ilfracombe would have been a better start for the big push but you should be able to push the tide from Swansea.
    Tom, Sundance
    2wheels1keel.com

Quote Originally Posted by gardener View Post
    Ok so I've been thinking again, always a bad thing, but with wind direction NOT strength would it be worth a day sail to Swansea overnight there then leave again with the tide and make straight to lands end of is this a bad idea, local knowledge could help here, or an i over thinking things ?
    Looks like a perfectly viable option to me. Run down to the west of Lundy taking the ebb tide and then shape a course for lands end, outside of longships and wolf rock. You'll be in newlyn or penzance inside of 24 hrs I would expect?

Tried to edit but accidently deleted.
    Ideally you will get a favourable wind direction to take the most direct course via Ilfracombe if you do end up on the Welsh side Oxwich Bay is a good anchorage in Westerly winds and less out of your way than Swansea Marina.
    Good Luck and Fair winds.

PS I think it is your 4 legged cat that always comes to say hello when we visit Portishead ?

Strangely I do have a four legged cat but to the best of my knowledge it has never left Essex or maybe I need to have a quiet chat with him

So you're not Roxy's Dad then!
    See the rainbow not the rain

I'm afraid not

But then it only makes Roxy more mysterious !

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast