Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Default Re: Bristol to Essex

Clearly Roxy has a rail card.:-)

And the mystery of whos cat has befriended us remains.

Quote Originally Posted by gardener View Post
    Ok so I've been thinking again, always a bad thing, but with wind direction NOT strength would it be worth a day sail to Swansea overnight there then leave again with the tide and make straight to lands end of is this a bad idea, local knowledge could help here, or an i over thinking things ?
    Unless Itís changed access to Swansea is restricted by lock opening times. If you have a long warp/chain anchorage at the Mumbles may give you more flexibility for arrival/departure. However I think the suggestion of anchorage or taking the ground at Ilfracombe or if wind westerly, a mooring at Lundy is a more direct option.

Ok so I've been thinking again, always a bad thing, but with wind direction NOT strength would it be worth a day sail to Swansea overnight there then leave again with the tide and make straight to lands end of is this a bad idea, local knowledge could help here, or an i over thinking things ?
    Do not bother with Swansea, you become a hostage to tide and lock times. Go to Oxwicb bay and anchor there. Then you can leave to get the best of the tide.

There are few Plan B though. Lurk around Lundy if it is going to pass quickly. Go to Ilfracombe if you can take the ground, Milford Haven if things are really dire, but the wind might be on your nose. Padstow a place to hide.

Anchor off StIves, but sleeping in a tumble drier is fair description of the experience.
    Gwylan, a settee with a sail

Ok Swansea is out, bad idea

Hi all this is my first post so I will probably do it all wrong but still here we go
    Have just bought a cataraman in Bristol and have to sail back to Essex in April any advice ? Or do,s and don,its will be much appreciated, many thanks
    As it happens, thats a trip I have done and in a cat - a Quest 33CS.

April is a bit early - the coldest sail I have ever had was round lands end in april and that in a big mono with decent heating. May is better though I have had snow on the decks going to Padstow for May day.

You dont say what sort of cat but AFAIK none of them are brilliant to windward in a chop, and the legs round lands end are long ( bristol to cardiff / watchet, ilfracombe, padstow, newlyn, falmouth) . You need to chose your times and weather with some care. Dont get into the deadline trap - got to go despite the forecast, need to be back at work etc.

Across the Thames estuary is interesting as being pretty shallow in areas but less of an issue for a cat.

Its not a difficult trip if you know what you are doing, the boat is sound and you chose your time wisely.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Thanks for that I was aiming for about 5 miles off longships but if the weather is with us then we could shave a few miles off. I was looking to try and go round the corner with the change of the tide, would I be correct to assume Portished to lands end is about 20 hours if I can maintain 8 knotts .
    Tide times off the Longships are different to those on the inside passage. I have rounded land end at least 20 times and apart from the first one I have always taken the inside route, even at night. Outside the Longships can be lumpy.

Not a bad idea so much as no real benefit. Starting from where you are and I am, I would not consider heading for Bull point on a longish trip in anything other than a very light westerly or something from NNW through east to SE. After all you want the tide with you at least until bull and in a cat you dont want wind over tide chop whilst trying to beat down the bristol channel. That is painful and slow. And with those winds there is no real benefit to Swansea which is a bit of a dump and with limited access anyway. Better to chose your weather and if you want to stop do so in Combe . Probably best to avoid Padstow - its just too easy to get stuck there as I have many times, so if you have a fair wind head straight for lands end and newlyn or Penzance. If you have the crew to keep going then rounding land end on the inside passage matches up with the tides round the lizard.

When I had a summer mooring in Falmouth, the usual delivery trip was two of us diurect from Cardiff without a stop. 27 hours or thereabouts. Tiring but easier than stopping en route. Start at night so that you are doing the run down the north cornish coast and its lobster pots in daylight - there are very few pots until you get past Combe so night sailing is reasonably safe until bull/ hartland.
    Last edited by birdseye; 16-03-19 at 17:26.
    this post is a personal opinion, and you should not base your actions on it.

Thanks for the info it all helps. And it's a Comanche 32

Take a look at the"Just about Sailing" youtube channel A few videos about the trip.

Cynical Scottish very nearly retired engineer who sails a Gib'Sea 96.

Quote Originally Posted by birdseye View Post
    I have rounded land end at least 20 times and apart from the first one I have always taken the inside route, even at night. Outside the Longships can be lumpy.
    Almost everyone I know who does this trip regularly would say the same thing. I've do it loads of times and even on days when it's flat calm inside, it looks horrible outside.
    Allan
    Sailblogs.com search Brilliant with Hilary and Allan as crew. Password Bristol.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345