Thread: For Fisherman

Default For Fisherman

I mean the regular very helpful pro chap on here.

I have just stumbled across this little short film on the Selsey fishermen; they often launch off the beach into the prevailing south westerlies, or use big boats from inside Chichester Harbour to go and do deep water stuff.

My good chum was until recently one of them, an occasional contributor here and since he took up sailing a few years ago I'm afraid with generations of salt water in his veins he's annoyingly good at it.

His father was a medal winning lifeboat cox, while he and his brother ( for years now in another serious life saving profession ) are both used to being lifeboat crews, inshore and offshore, and said chum also works in life saving stuff to this day.

I'd say this family and I'm sure countless similar others have been and are doing more than their bit for society

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6x...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by Seajet; 08-02-19 at 14:46.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association - For info please ask here or PM me.

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: For Fisherman

My maternal Grandmother owned property at Selsey. As a child,6 to 12 years old, I would spend my summers there. Until she died, in fact.

In the early 50's I remember the willow pots, the heavy boats, often rowed out to the pots and helping-or hindering, we were just kids- the fishermen when they came back to the beach.

There was still lots of crude oil pollution on the beaches then, from the war, and the warplanes using the targets out at sea thundering over the beach. Grandma and mum had a bottle of turps to clean the oil off off.

Certainly a dangerous place in an onshore blow, the fishing carried out the same way it had been for centuries, like Cromer and Dungeness, launching off the beach.
    Last edited by rotrax; 08-02-19 at 20:53.

thanks seajet

Thanks for sharing that
    Someone more informed will come along any minute

Nice.
    I enjoyed that. I was very impressed to see there is a “Canucks Fan” amongst the fishermen.

I got a laugh out of the “Herring Gull” friend. My brother is a small boat fisherman. He had the same “Herring Gull” which would come visit him every day in the same place and share his sandwich.
    You might might find this hard to believe. I don’t know how long Gulls live. This Gull visited my uncle in the same spot. We figure it came by to share a sandwich for close to 30 years. He was quite sad when it stopped coming. So was I.

Fishing is a way of life I left behind long ago. It’s a tough life. Hard to make a living now. I know a lot of ex fishermen.

Very nice, thanks. When asked why I went fishing I say, having been brought up in a small fishing village it soaks into you, it is like a drug addiction as one said, I'm in cold turkey at the moment having sold the boat, the first time in 46 years I haven't got a fishing boat. Not completely stir crazy ...yet. If the paperwork and regs make it too difficult for me to have a boat to mess about in I may have to go sailing.
    I sat my maths O level in 1965, (got a 2), left the exam as soon as the paper was finished, hitched home ten miles because there was mackerel about and went out for the afternoon in my school uniform, got about fifteen bob.

Old chap here had a pet seagull that sat on the wheelhouse roof, he would reach up and feed it crumbs. One day he reached up and no response, so he stuck his head out and the gull grabbed his ear.

In 1988 I went to a gite in Belle Isle en Terre, Brittany, the woman had a menagerie including a seagull which had fallen in the square fifteen years before. It attached itself to me, broke out of its pen to wait on the doorstep in the morning, I could pick it up, the owner couldn't, it followed at my heels. Smell? I do shower occasionally, and I had my oilskins with me, it took no notice of them.

Very enjoyable film

I remember when I sold my Cygnus 19 Exuberant, didn't have a boat for years and you really do feel like something is missing, eventually bought a yacht and only regret is I didn't do it sooner, for those with a commercial fishing background sailing really satisfying as you are still very interactive with the boat.
    Have met and made some really good friends, thanks for sharing Seajet.
    Thanks Moby