Thread: Any guesses?

Default Any guesses?

I am helping a friend haul his boat out in the next couple of days. It is a 17ft x 6'6"carvel built open launch with a twin Volvo 12hp diesel.
    He seems to think it weighs quite a lot, me, less so and it affects the trailer needed, specificly the wheels. Trailer is not for the road, only to a storage.

We will pull the engine first, so, any ideas about what the hull might weigh?
    TIA

DW

Edit. Construction is 'workboat' in pine and it has a fordeck.
    Last edited by DownWest; 09-02-19 at 12:29.

Default Re: Any guesses?

Have you got any photos you can post here? She might be a heavy workboat or a light launch, so it’s difficult to guess her weight for you.
    Cheers,
    Bill

No photos handy, but we are pulling he this morning, so will find out!
    DW

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Engine will be 505lbs dry if its an MD2B. Workboat style hull may be up to a ton. Look in the bilges for any pigs of ballast...

Wear a truss! .....

Thanks all. We hauled it with a conventional trailer and I lifted the engine with a frame, no prob. The difficulty is the storage for an overhaul is just wide enough in the doors to get her in (20mm each side), but the distance across the street is exactly the length of the boat, it can't go in on the longer trailer.
    I have fabbed up a dolley with steering both ends, but the available wheels look a bit feeble. The last thing we want is something to fail and block the street. Boat will be parked while we get better wheels.

No pigs in the bilge, but some very oily sludge. Boat prob over 60yrs old and originally came from Brittany, where it fished under sail, before the engine was fitted. It's retirement is on the Charente for pic-nic trips.

Not a fan of trusses KF! I let the winches and chainhoists do the weighty bits.
    Last edited by DownWest; 13-02-19 at 08:11.