Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad slides?

Default Bad slides?

Hi all, Iíve got a Trapper TS240 with a new mainsail just fitted. The sailmaker fitted new slides also and they slide up and down the mast slot ok, but any breeze pushes the sail away from the mast and seems to jam the slides in the slot making raising the sail a difficult two man job with one on the winch winding hard and the other at the mast trying to ease the slides through the gate at the bottom of the mast and further up as the sail is raised. The halyard is in good condition and when disconnected from the sail goes up and down with ease. Do the slides need lubricating? Are there any better slides out there than the usual white plastic ones Iíve got?

Default Re: Bad slides?

Got any pics? (Different boat) ours jam if sail not dead astern. Etc

I would recommend Tidesmarine’s sailtrack system. I think you would find the difference remarkable.
    No connection- I have it as recommended by my sailmaker and find it takes a lot of effort out of sail hoisting and lowering and certainly you would not need a hand at the botto: of the track as the slides are contained.

Are you head to wind as you hoist the main?

Quote Originally Posted by PeteCooper View Post
    Are you head to wind as you hoist the main?
    I'm assuming he is head to wind but the problem is the angle as the slides get to the gate. It is hard to assess without a picture but getting it right is going to be an important part of getting his sailing enjoyment. My guess is that there are one or two bits of track/gate that are not smoothed off enough. Slides with rollers, such as we tend to have with a fully-battened sail will normally pass through a gate smoothly but plastic is less forgiving. I would try to smooth off anything sharp in the way and put some Teflon grease liberally on the slides and gate before trying anything radical.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

The slides jam even when just testing the sail on the berth in zero wind. Starting to think it’s a lubrication issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeydave View Post
    The slides jam even when just testing the sail on the berth in zero wind. Starting to think itís a lubrication issue.
    Might be worth checking the slides against your old main just to make sure they are the same.

I've found Mclube about the best for both sail track and ok to use on genoa luff tape and track.
    It is never too late to have a happy childhood. Buy a boat.

There's lots of models and sizes, the wrong ones will jam.
    If I'd wanted to live in a Banana Republic I'd have gone to South America.

You shouldn't need to lubricate slides - if the track is clean and smooth.

And if the old ones worked properly then you need to change the new ones. (I've put a lot of new sails up new masts and the only problems were with incorrect slides).

Try hoisting without the top slider inthe mast .
    If the slides work without the sail being pulled up ,it’s quite often the alignment of the headboard slider .
    It tips and jack knifes and jams .
    There should be two sliders to position the board correctly parallel to the mast groove .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast