Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad slides?

Default Re: Bad slides?

Quote Originally Posted by savageseadog View Post
    There's lots of models and sizes, the wrong ones will jam.
    Agree. It sounds like the shoulder of the slides is getting stuck in the slot.

The sail isn’t full battened is it ? You wou need a pressure slide with rollers fitted at each batten end .

One other thought ,how were the slides attached on the old sail .? webbed on or shackled.
    If shackled on now ,they may be too loose and get dragged up to tip .
    If webbed on that’s a more rigid mount,often slides easier.

There are many slides now that are designed to stop the angle change ,they have a rockered back face.
    Do you know your mast manufacturer?

I bought a new fully battened main to replace the old baggy thing.
    At first i though that either I or the sailmakre had made a mistake, cos it was a bit ch to raise and lower.
    One can of silicone spray later, it was a completely different story.
    I use the silicone spary into the track as far as i can reach and onto the slides when the sail is down, but only once or twice a season.
    I can now hosit the main by hand, only needing the winch to apply final luff tension.
    Aiming to live forever or die in the attempt!

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I would recommend Tidesmarineís sailtrack system. I think you would find the difference remarkable.
    No connection- I have it as recommended by my sailmaker and find it takes a lot of effort out of sail hoisting and lowering and certainly you would not need a hand at the botto: of the track as the slides are contained.
    I second that. I fitted a Tides Marine track system last year. Not cheap but well worth it for me as I have a poor sense of balance and didn't like having to balance on the coach roof in choppy conditions to pull the last few metres of sail down. With the Tides track it comes down like a runaway train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVEX4DCfCYE

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    I second that. I fitted a Tides Marine track system last year. Not cheap but well worth it for me as I have a poor sense of balance and didn't like having to balance on the coach roof in choppy conditions to pull the last few metres of sail down. With the Tides track it comes down like a runaway train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVEX4DCfCYE
    Thanks for that. I think i am heading that way too - old circular section mast track for a luff rope main, cars jam unless heading straight upwind etc. Cheers for vid.

Quote Originally Posted by pompeydave View Post
    The slides jam even when just testing the sail on the berth in zero wind. Starting to think it’s a lubrication issue.
    Incorrect slides if jamming like that. My main was getting difficult to raise and lower and I found that the masthead shaves had corroded after 40 years. Cleaned them all up during a re-rig so hopefully back to undoing haliard and main drops down .....

Hi all, lubrication was the issue- added McLube up and down the slot and on the slides and its smooth as silk now! Thanks for the advice.

Great - and thanks for letting us know ☺

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12