Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Which British flag as guest flag or courtesy flag?

Quote Originally Posted by Pump-Out View Post
    Incorrectly then.

The Red Ensign is correct for all visiting ships & yachts in UK waters.
    The only exception is visiting warships - they fly the Union Flag.
    I didn't say it was correct.

No question the red ensign is the correct thing for a formal courtesy flag. Yes, the Union Jack is occasionally seen even on visiting merchant ships, but it’s a mistake, made presumably by those from countries which don’t make a distinction between national flag and maritime ensign.

For an informal “British person on board” flag? This custom is recent enough not to have any hard and fast rules, but to me either is acceptable and a small Union Jack actually feels more appropriate. The purpose of the flag is not essentially maritime, rather it just signifies the country - and it also distinguishes it nicely from a courtesy flag that someone’s run up on the wrong side.

Pete

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    My wife is from Hong Kong, so we often fly a Hong Kong courtesy ensign from the port crosstrees. Just a bit of fun!
    Some years ago my wife and I copped a very severe bollocking from the late and redoubtable Lorna for locking into Limehouse Basin flying the old HK ensign; it happened to be our wedding anniversary and we had married in HK (and held the reception at the RHKYC). I was told to lower it at once in case anyone saw it and was issued with (and charged for!) a CA defaced ensign and the warrant to go with it on the spot!

We try whenever possible when we have had foreign guests onboard, to get their national flag for the port spreader. It’s good fun, they love it and appreciate it along with making a conversation point in an anchorage or port.
    Chris
    Out west.... (or in the office)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123