Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Which British flag as guest flag or courtesy flag?

We've done a lot of "relay cruising", where a new group of friends take over the boat and move it on for a couple of weeks or so. We always have the national flags of the current crew flying from the port spreaders and have made many new friends that way. Admittedly one of the owners claims 4 nationalities (three passports and he's Welsh) so the windage can be quite considerable. (The boat is French-flagged and we fly the Red Ensign from the starboard spreader when in UK waters)
    Last edited by iLens; 09-02-19 at 23:24.

Quote Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
    Not pretentious at all. We see loads of charter boats in the Med flying "guests on board" flags from the port spreaders, often two or three different ones. This is a great help if for example you are from Sweden and you see a Swedish flag on port side, you have good reason to nip over and meet your fellow countrymen (or women). Very sociable, good custom.
    Of course the starboard side should be kept for official ship's business.
    And in our club burgees should be flown from the masthead, but that is I admit a bit pretentious.
    Peter
    Then maybe I should get a flag made - Entertaining Tonight
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    Then maybe I should get a flag made - Entertaining Tonight
    A Gin Pennant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gin_pennant

Quote Originally Posted by davidaprice View Post
    (shouldn't call it a union jack unless it's flown at a jackstaff)
    A "jack" is simply a small flag. See https://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/bri...he-union-flag/
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Originally Posted by davidaprice:
    (shouldn't call it a union jack unless it's flown at a jackstaff)
    No, Parliament in the early part of the 20th century decreed that the national flag of the UK was the 'Union Jack'.

The Navy had been using either description without preference for years before that. The interesting thing was apart from the military and royalty, there wasn't really a national flag in the UK at all up until that time. That's why we don't see it flown from government buildings or have all the rules surrounding it's use as they do in the USA etc. The symbol of the State's authority in the UK is 'the crown' so that is what you see in law courts, etc, not the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by davidaprice View Post
    I was discussing flag etiquette today at the Helsinki Boat Show with a flag expert from the Finnish yachting association. They have a new book on yacht flags and flag etiquette, and in it they show an example of a British flag being flown at the port spreader when a Finnish yacht has a British guest aboard.

The British flag shown is a small red ensign. I'd always understood that the red ensign is only used as the yacht's main ensign at the stern, and that as a guest flag or a courtesy flag (when a foreign yacht visits the UK) you should use a small union flag (shouldn't call it a union jack unless it's flown at a jackstaff).

So which is right, small red ensign or small union flag? Opinions welcome, but authoritative references even more so, as I promised to report back to him.
    RE is correct, a Union Flag has no place on a Yacht
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Quite a few of the yachts that pass our house are on charter, easily recognized by having as many crew as berths, these days there seem to be a lot of Russians, still some Scandanavians, French, Germans, Italians and quite a few English. The boats seem to be equipped with red ensigns which some fly, occasionally with a small national flag from the spreaders, some (probably experienced regular charterers) bring their national flag and substitute it for the red ensign at the stern and some of those fly a saltire or small ensign at the crosstrees. A substantial number do not display any flag at all, particularly the Russians and East Europeans so you have to watch and listen to them to work out where they are from. ( not seen any Chinese yet).

My wife is from Hong Kong, so we often fly a Hong Kong courtesy ensign from the port crosstrees. Just a bit of fun!

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    Quite often in Southampton & Poole, foreign ships fly the Union flag as a courtesy flag, particularly East Eurpoean/Russian vessels.
    Incorrectly then.

The Red Ensign is correct for all visiting ships & yachts in UK waters.
    The only exception is visiting warships - they fly the Union Flag.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    RE is correct, a Union Flag has no place on a Yacht
    Pilot Jack?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast