Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Free wifi

So we all like a bit of free wifi , there this app I been useing last year called wifi map , bascilly the idea is once you manage to get a password for say a bar , cafe what ever you enter it into the App ,
    On the other hand if you happen to arrive in a new place , as long as someone played the game you have a password to log on to .
    Ok there is a catch ,
    you need to log on to the internet first to see what's available, but if you are limited to a small amount of data by using your data to obtain a password your able to get logged on to other network saving your own data for another time .

We used it almost everywhere I cruised in the Med last year and there was very few time I couldn't get a free wifi .

Good luck
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Default Re: Free wifi

That'd be stolen wifi then?
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Borrowed....

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    @ Lon nan Gruagach .....NO and If anyone breaking any laws here its you ,
    has I already stated I been useing the App , your posting suggesting that I stealing and I find that very offensive
    And I strongly suggest that unless you have anything constructive to say on any posting that you say nothing at all ,
    this also goes to Mr posting #3
    I like to bring this to your attention and others who seen to get some enjoyment in winding people up .
    over the last years have lost some good member on this site because people posting just to start a conflict and attacking others , and quite a lot of us here have had enough , this is suppose to be a sailing site to help each other's with info not somewhere to wind people up .

Now Going back to the App

The APP which I have no interest in other then a user is a legal APP no hacking involve and it can be had through Apple also other OS
    Any information gives as in passwords are freely given by the owners of the hot spot to the public and once in the public dormant the information is free to be used .
    In return the establishment
    A get pin pointed on a map
    B the type of establishment ( pub, bar, cafe,hotel)
    C speed of their data
    D that their internet is working at that time .
    Which means anyone looking for wifi know where to go instead of walking into a establishment that advertise free wifi order a 2 coffee only to get told the internet not working or find it take 10 mins to open a email.
    As most people know most establishments wifi are limit to their premises unless you happen to be carrying a large antenna on your back and willing to sit on the pavement ,the establishment benefits.
    So it's a win win
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 10-02-19 at 03:46.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Thanks for passing this on, Vic.

I've never heard of this app but I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Vic.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    @ Lon nan Gruagach .....NO and If anyone breaking any laws here its you ,
    I'd be intrigued to know what law you think Lon nan Gruagach is breaking.

You'll find that in most jurisdictions unauthorised network access is illegal so you are almost certainly breaking the actual law. In some areas it might be more of a grey area if the network didn't have a password but you're explicitly talking about using passwords not provided to you by someone authorised to give you access.

From a moral standpoint wifi is used to attract people to a bar: buy a coffee, get wifi access. That's the deal. Using the wifi without paying is like walking up to the bar and taking a load of napkins without buying anything. It's hardly going to damage the business, you're unlikely to get arrested and people do it but you shouldn't get huffy if someone points out it's technically stealing.

In your second post you seem to be implying you'll buy something anyway in which case why not just legally cover yourself and ask for the password? Before buying something, ask if the wifi is working which should be more useful than some anonymous app user saying it was working 3 months ago.
    Last edited by laika; 10-02-19 at 12:14.

From the wifi map ts&cs:

By uploading the password for a hotspot through our App, you represent and warrant to us that you are the owner of the hotspot, or have been authorized by the owner of the hotspot to upload the password through our App. If you are not the owner of a hotspot, and have not been authorized by the owner of that hotspot to upload the password through our App, you must not upload the password for that hotspot
    ...because they're well aware of the difference between what their app can legally be used for and what it will actually be used for...

Is it this one you refer to, Vic?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...man.androidApp

Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast