Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by ip485 View Post
    I think there is a chance, a good chance that those who are using the WiFi, especially us sailors, will also go and use their facilites. I can imagine being moored up near a Greek taverna, using their WiFi, and, of course where would I go for a drink or breakfast, of course that taverna.
    Where we're concerned, that chance would be a 100% guaranteed certainty.

Richard

It is illegal in the UK, see e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07..._driver_fined/

In other countries it is not. Not sure about EU but think not.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    It is illegal in the UK, see e.g. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07..._driver_fined/

In other countries it is not. Not sure about EU but think not.
    That was someone using a private individual's wifi permission. It could be very difficult to prove lack of permission in the case of a business offering free wifi to its customers. "I had a drink there and got the code then".
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    That was someone using a private individual's wifi permission. It could be very difficult to prove lack of permission in the case of a business offering free wifi to its customers. "I had a drink there and got the code then".
    Maybe that's why few cases ever appear in the literature. But it's still theft, in my view.

I used to do it myself when I was at my mother's and had no internet access, to be honest. Or not be honest.

Isn't this rather like going into a cafe (or especially a Wetherspoons) to use the lavatory without buying anything?

If it becomes a problem for the proprietor, he will do something to stop it.

'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by Poignard View Post
    Isn't this rather like going into a cafe (or especially a Wetherspoons) to use the lavatory without buying anything?

If it becomes a problem for the proprietor, he will do something to stop it.

No, there's a criminal law against unauthorised computer access. No [edit: criminal] law, to my knowledge, against unauthorised toilet access.
    Last edited by dgadee; 16-02-19 at 11:25. Reason: Clarity

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    It could be very difficult to prove lack of permission in the case of a business offering free wifi to its customers.
    uk computer law is hardly fit for purpose and section 125 of the communications act is typically wooly. No-one can be seriously saying that anyone's ever going to be hauled before the beak for piggybacking on a bar's wifi using a password not provided by the proprietor or someone authorised to supply it.

The OP however takes great offence at the suggestion that piggybacking is illegal, that in any case sitting on your boat and using wifi from a nearby bar is practically impossible:

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Most places these day limit wifi to inside there premises so how you can used it with paying for a drink , you got me there .
    And that he only uses this app for the reviews of the wifi not the passwords.

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    And that he only uses this app for the reviews of the wifi not the passwords.
    No he doesn't. He gets the passwords from the App. That's the whole point of it.

Quote Originally Posted by dgadee View Post
    No, there's a criminal law against unauthorised computer access. No [edit: criminal] law, to my knowledge, against unauthorised toilet access.
    I wasn't thinking of the legality of it but of the discourtesy of using something not intended for my use. But if I got taken short, I'd use the bog and perhaps buy something if it was a small cafe but I would have no hesitation in using Wetherspoons or a department stores facilities.
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    ... that in any case sitting on your boat and using wifi from a nearby bar is practically impossible
    All you need is a high gain USB antenna and it's amazing how good a signal you can get at ... oops, sorry, forgot what I was going to say.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast