Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    I'd be intrigued to know what law you think Lon nan Gruagach is breaking.

You'll find that in most jurisdictions unauthorised network access is illegal so you are almost certainly breaking the actual law. In some areas it might be more of a grey area if the network didn't have a password but you're explicitly talking about using passwords not provided to you by someone authorised to give you access.

From a moral standpoint wifi is used to attract people to a bar: buy a coffee, get wifi access. That's the deal. Using the wifi without paying is like walking up to the bar and taking a load of napkins without buying anything. It's hardly going to damage the business, you're unlikely to get arrested and people do it but you shouldn't get huffy if someone points out it's technically stealing.

In your second post you seem to be implying you'll buy something anyway in which case why not just legally cover yourself and ask for the password? Before buying something, ask if the wifi is working which should be more useful than some anonymous app user saying it was working 3 months ago.
    My post could be construed as libel.
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

You'll find that in most jurisdictions unauthorised network access is illegal so you are almost certainly breaking the actual law. In some areas it might be more of a grey area if the network didn't have a password but you're explicitly talking about using passwords not provided to you by someone authorised to give you access.

From a moral standpoint wifi is used to attract people to a bar: buy a coffee, get wifi access. That's the deal. Using the wifi without paying is like walking up to the bar and taking a load of napkins without buying anything. It's hardly going to damage the business, you're unlikely to get arrested and people do it but you shouldn't get huffy if someone points out it's technically stealing.

In your second post you seem to be implying you'll buy something anyway in which case why not just legally cover yourself and ask for the password? Before buying something, ask if the wifi is working which should be more useful than some anonymous app user saying it was working 3 months ago.
    Mere technicalities, of course as a certain type of aging white male he (feels he) is entitled and is most certainly not a criminal. It's completely different from leaving the bar without paying and anyway the person who is paying for the WiFi provision is probably some sort of Johnny foreigner.
    Last edited by Elecglitch; 10-02-19 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    It's completely different from leaving the bar without paying
    I think your criticism is excessive and unwarranted: this appears to be a case of ignorance rather than malice. I suspect most people *would* say this type of unauthorised network access is completely different to leaving a bar without paying.

I certainly wouldn't label those who occasionally quietly piggyback on networks they shouldn't "a menace to society". Publicly advocating it and being outraged when people point out it's illegal isn't the most sensible thing to do though.

Quote Originally Posted by Elecglitch View Post
    Mere technicalities, of course as a certain type of aging white male he (feels he) is entitled and is most certainly not a criminal. It's completely different from leaving the bar without paying and anyway the person who is paying for the WiFi provision is probably some sort of Johnny foreigner.
    It's an app. It's on Google Play and Apple Store. The end.

Richard

I think your criticism is excessive and unwarranted: this appears to be a case of ignorance.
    Oh dear, how sad, never mind, I'll get over it. FWIW I do agree that the OP does appear ignorant. Now if you'll excuse me I've a game of ruby to watch.

See post #11
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by KompetentKrew View Post
    Yes enjoy

Is it just a European thing having password protected wifi? Last time I was in the USA I was surprised how many establishments had open wifi.

No one have suggested that the free wifi supplied by any establishment should be used without using some of the services of that Establishment or at the very less asking for permission.
    Passwords are given within the App so is where establishment/located and what type of data can be expected , which give the user of the app a clear indication not only how to find where the best free wifi can be found but also if he/she is going to get the data they need before spending they money on service which may not even exist, This again had been made clear in 5# .

nearly most places that offer free wifi have it limited to their premises so unless anyone has plains to go into a bar/ restaurant and sit quietly in the corner and hope he/she is not going to be notices then the sensible option is to
    Use the services .
    Has all this as already been made clear in #5 ,
    how any one here can compare this to anything but being a helpful bit of info to help other find a good free wifi is a bit of a mystery .
    It's a real shame posting #2/3 didn't check out the App before posting .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 10-02-19 at 23:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Is it just a European thing having password protected wifi? Last time I was in the USA I was surprised how many establishments had open wifi.
    Quite a lot don't have passwords and are open wifi .

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast