Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Lon nan Gruagach View Post
    My post could be construed as libel.
    Possibly, but it is not a crime. The previous common law offence of criminal libel was abolished in England in 2010 and there has never been a criminal offence of defamation in Scotland. If you, i or anyone else believes they have been libelled, slandered or otherwise defamed they may sue and attempt to recover damages, but the police would not be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It's an app. It's on Google Play and Apple Store. The end.

Richard
    You appear to be suggesting that because something can be legally bought and sold it cannot be used to commit an offence. This is clearly nonsense - think kitchen knives, replica guns, strong acids etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    No one have suggested that the free wifi supplied by any establishment should be used without using some of the services of that Establishment or at the very less asking for permission.
    Passwords are given within the App so is where establishment/located and what type of data can be expected , which give the user of the app a clear indication not only how to find where the best free wifi can be found but also if he/she is going to get the data they need before spending they money on service which may not even exist, This again had been made clear in 5# .

nearly most places that offer free wifi have it limited to their premises so unless anyone has plains to go into a bar/ restaurant and sit quietly in the corner and hope he/she is not going to be notices then the sensible option is to
    Use the services .
    Has all this as already been made clear in #5 ,
    how any one here can compare this to anything but being a helpful bit of info to help other find a good free wifi is a bit of a mystery .
    It's a real shame posting #2/3 didn't check out the App before posting .
    I did
    Just call me Dougal, Sir Dougal to you.

I have to wonder about the mentality of some people on this forum. The OP shared some information which he thought might be useful to others on the forum and he ends up having to defend himself against ridiculous accusations. Do people get pleasure from trying to knock other posters at every possible opportunity? Do they think it makes them appear clever to the rest of us? LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. I'M SO SMART. EVERYONE LOOK AT ME.
    We have lost one excellent poster recently because of another disruptive, abusive poster. Do we want to lose more of our valuable posters because of nonsense? Time for a bit of cop-on in my humble opinion.

Good morning Alan
    If I may just comment on your posting, picking on bit that People said is not helping.
    The whole point here is that opening posting was of an App that some may find helpful has they sail to different ports, it's wasn't suggesting that anyone should use it to default any one of any money or lost of business,
    I didn't have to posted I could have just continued sitting on deck with my cool beer, but then after taken the trouble to post I get accused of stealing, that followed post #3 who agreeing ,

Now I not sure about you, but take exception to being called a thief, especially from people who know nothing about me.
    If #2/3 posting the app was crap, didn't work or they know a better app at less that would be putting some input into the thread.

Has I said in #5 too much of this trolling is going on where people only interest in replying to thread is to start some kind of conflict and it really is about time the Mods stepping in and stop it or more and more people will decide to move away from posting in fear of being trolled.

So really it's up to us all to decide , do we want a friendly forum where people can find help and useful info when they need it ? or do we want a site full of trolls ?

If it's the latter we find more and more knowledgeable people will move away .
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

If you are using someone's internet access, are you effectively slowing down the system?
    So if you sit outside the building using their access without using their other services you are really being a pain in the ar..e
    I went into a pub to buy a drink & use the wifi. When I pointed out to the landlord that it was slow; he pointed to the public seating area outside & all the yuppies having their lunch & using his internet access, without buying a drink from him.
    This, he claimed, happened every lunch time for about 2 hours . He could do little about it.

So presumably, if that is correct & not the landord's excuse, the OP is advocating the same. That is not really so nice at the end of the day.

The ethics of " I am only taking a little bit" is not much different to " I will take the lot"
    Some seem to think that is perfectly OK. Or is it?

It is up to the individual to decide.
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 11-02-19 at 07:56.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    If you are using someone's internet access, are you effectively slowing down the system?
    So if you sit outside the building using their access without using their other services you are really being a pain in the ar..e
    I went into a pub to buy a drink & use the wifi. When I pointed out to the landlord that it was slow; he pointed to the public seating area outside & all the yuppies having their lunch & using his internet access, without buying a drink from him.
    This, he claimed, happened every lunch time for about 2 hours . He could do little about it.

So presumably, if that is correct & not the landord's excuse, the OP is advocating the same. That is not really so nice at the end of the day.

The ethics of " I am only taking a little bit" is not much different to " I will take the lot"
    Sorry to keep jumping in here but I believe if you had read Vic's posts properly you wouldn't have posted this. As for your landlord there were plenty of options open to him such as restricting the wifi range or changing his password more regularly.

Please please please show me where in any of my posting I suggest anyone should do as you said ,
    I used the word free wifi only because nearly all bars, cafe advertising their wifi in this way , I mentioned the app having passwords included , because they do just like I mention the data speed and where you can find the establishment to use there services .
    None of this warrant being accused of stealing .
    Most places these day limit wifi to inside there premises so how you can used it with paying for a drink , you got me there .
    unless as in your landlord is happy to let them , even as you are suggestion sitting out side the amount of any data unless he has a super system you will get will be very little data because everyone in between you and his wifi box will be getting what little the data there is before before you .
    As for your pub landland , if he wanted to he could put a stop to his problems in seconds , just by changing the pass word each day but I guess the reason he don't is because people tend to think that establishment have lots of people must be good ,
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 11-02-19 at 08:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    Sorry to keep jumping in here but I believe if you had read Vic's posts properly you wouldn't have posted this. As for your landlord there were plenty of options open to him such as restricting the wifi range or changing his password more regularly.
    Sorry but I thought that Vic was advocating the use of using someones wifi without buying the other services they offered. The fact that he pointed us to the App surely suggests it was Ok to use. Bit like " Hey guys, I know where you can get free guns" but do not blame me when someone gets shot

As for landlord changing the password- why should he?
    The point I was trying to get over was whether it was actually right to take that wifi or not.
    Only a "little bit" might seem Ok - as in "fiddle a bit of income tax or VAT for cash"- but when it comes to Google & Amazon etc we get up in arms about it.
    The principle is the same- is it not?

I suspect that the landlord did not give a stuff, but as a customer, I got well p..s .d off -- & had too much to drink, waiting for the yuppies to go back to work.
    But as I said it is for each individual to decide & I understand some getting upset at objections - but it depends on whether you do agree with shoplifting or not I suppose
    Last edited by Daydream believer; 11-02-19 at 08:23.
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Vic - interesting.

Fortunately, Marina de Lagos gives us free wifi and when away, with Three roaming, we have sufficient wifi for our needs but could be a useful back up for a rainy day.

Two points; in this part of the world more and more outlets, including bars, public transport and airports provide ‘free’ wifi but understandably it can be rather slow. Additional, the signal is weak so the coverage is very localised.

The other point; some outlets regularly change their password or provide users with a short- term unique password. Both ploys defeatthe would be ‘casual’ user.

Even if you don’t want to poach it would be a useful aid to identifying Wifi locactions and so ending up in a bar/restaurant that doesn’t have Wifi.

Thanks Vic✔️
    Last edited by nortada; 11-02-19 at 08:32.
    🇵🇹Neither A Remainer or A Brexiteer be.
    Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

Sorry but I thought that Vic was advocating the use of using someones wifi without buying the other services they offered.
    I not advocating anything and I don't see how pointing out this app is ,
    so please stop suggesting I am .
    And your really getting away from what really going on here and not just in my thread .
    Which is people with no input or interest in the posting ,posting remark just to start conflicts .
    At less your posting is in some way making the point that if you don't use other service while using the free wifi it can be a bother to others .

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast