Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    Vic - intersting.

Fortunately, Marina de Lagos gives us free wifi and when away, we have sufficient wifi for our needs but could be a useful back up for a rainy day.

Two points; in this part of the world more and more outlets, including bars, public transport and airports provide ‘free’ wifi but understandably it can be rather slow. Additional, the signal is weak so the coverage is very localised.

The other point; some outlets regularly change their password or provide users with a short- term unique password. Both ploys defear the would be ‘casual’ user.
    Yes your correct and thanks for pointing that out , and most do so the only real advances of the app is it points you to the nearest place where you can find a good internet service and save us time running from place to place spending money on cups of coffee to download weather just to find after paying there internet not working or it very slow .

And on that note I got better things to do to day then spending the day arguing with some here who in the end of the day probably end up using the App themselves
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 11-02-19 at 08:40.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    Sorry As for landlord changing the password- why should he?
    Lots of reasons. Paying customers getting slow web may go elsewhere, your favourite young professionals might actually saunter in and buy a drink, he'll look better in court if someone's downloading dodgy stuff on his connection ('I change the password once a week' might help in his defence), and if he has half a brain he could have some fun with his customers and silly passwords.

I had a look on Apple, is this app available on Android devices and laptops?
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver. Hoping for the best whilst planning for the worst✔️

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    You appear to be suggesting that because something can be legally bought and sold it cannot be used to commit an offence. This is clearly nonsense - think kitchen knives, replica guns, strong acids etc. etc.
    I don't appear to be suggesting anything. What I am categorically and unequivocally stating is that it's an app. It's on Google Play and Apple Store. The end.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    ... how any one here can compare this to anything but being a helpful bit of info to help other find a good free wifi is a bit of a mystery .
    I know that this will come as a terrible shock to you Vic .... but some of our fellow forumites favour a cerebral cortex superleggera approach to matters of common interest.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rover View Post
    I have to wonder about the mentality of some people on this forum. The OP shared some information which he thought might be useful to others on the forum and he ends up having to defend himself against ridiculous accusations. Do people get pleasure from trying to knock other posters at every possible opportunity? Do they think it makes them appear clever to the rest of us? LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME. I'M SO SMART. EVERYONE LOOK AT ME.
    We have lost one excellent poster recently because of another disruptive, abusive poster. Do we want to lose more of our valuable posters because of nonsense? Time for a bit of cop-on in my humble opinion.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Is it just a European thing having password protected wifi? Last time I was in the USA I was surprised how many establishments had open wifi.
    It's a security thing. Using a completely open WiFi network exposes you to all sorts of hacking vectors; everything you put on the internet is (in theory) visible to other users of the network. I wouldn't use an open WiFi network UNLESS it had some sort of security system - like the login system that places like hotels and restaurants tend to have. Of course, they don't do it for altruistice reasons, they do it to harvest email addresses for targeted marketing, but it does mean that you have an extra layer of protection of your privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by anoccasionalyachtsman View Post
    Lots of reasons. Paying customers getting slow web may go elsewhere, your favourite young professionals might actually saunter in and buy a drink, he'll look better in court if someone's downloading dodgy stuff on his connection ('I change the password once a week' might help in his defence), and if he has half a brain he could have some fun with his customers and silly passwords.
    There is a principle rising here.
    First this is not a dig at Vic. In a way I can understand him being upset at the suggestion of theft. But the underlying theme of - this is how it is done - is still there.
    Of course he only pointed to the App & one has to make one's own opinion from there on in.
    So fair dues to Vic , he has pointed it out in good faith , because the " knife" can be used in a good way.
    However, going on tho your reply to my " why should the landlord change his password"
    One is suggesting that it is the landlord's fault that the internet is slow.He should do something about it.
    It reminds me of the sad case recently of the young girl who has just committed suicide.
    The press has lambasted the software provider ( was it facebook or someone? i do not use it)
    No one has said anything about the idiots who post the stuff in the first place. No one has said " what will we do to those people. All they can do is scream at Facebook.

A bit like the landlord- no one has said anything about the yuppies who you suggest might post obscene muck. No one has said anything about the bloke who might use Vic's App ( for want of a better description) & use up the bandwidth.
    Same thing really, is it not?

And please Vic- Do not get the hump - it is a thread drift that I admit should be in the lounge
    It is all down to the fact that my wife does not understand me !!

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    It's a security thing. Using a completely open WiFi network exposes you to all sorts of hacking vectors; everything you put on the internet is (in theory) visible to other users of the network. I wouldn't use an open WiFi network UNLESS it had some sort of security system - like the login system that places like hotels and restaurants tend to have. Of course, they don't do it for altruistice reasons, they do it to harvest email addresses for targeted marketing, but it does mean that you have an extra layer of protection of your privacy.
    If the password is when you originally connect then it's an encryption key and as long as it's WPA and not WEP (very out-of-date) then you're fairly safe. If it's one of those "give us your email address and enter a password" web pages then you have no security at all and unless you are connecting to a https: website and doing the encryption yourself then you should assume that everyone in the room is reading everything you type.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    If the password is when you originally connect then it's an encryption key and as long as it's WPA and not WEP (very out-of-date) then you're fairly safe. If it's one of those "give us your email address and enter a password" web pages then you have no security at all and unless you are connecting to a https: website and doing the encryption yourself then you should assume that everyone in the room is reading everything you type.
    True, of course, but at least you're pretty certain that everyone on the network has made themselves identifiable to the network owners. Not by any means fool-proof! But it's the best you're going to get in most public places; distributing WPA keys is insecure as well as being more of a burden for hotel or bar staff. And places that have a WPA password on a notice by the bar (or wherever) might as well not bother.

Of course, a lot of modern browsers either won't connect to servers that don't support https, or at least warn you of insecure connections. That doesn't mean that you can't connect by http, but I usually get a warning (insecure connection) if the server doesn't support https.

Incidentally, I understand that even WPA is no longer uncrackable (see Reaver and Airgeddon!), and even a brute force attack can be done in a few days.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast