Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Free wifi

Default Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream believer View Post
    There is a principle rising here.
    First this is not a dig at Vic. In a way I can understand him being upset at the suggestion of theft. But the underlying theme of - this is how it is done - is still there.
    Of course he only pointed to the App & one has to make one's own opinion from there on in.
    So fair dues to Vic , he has pointed it out in good faith , because the " knife" can be used in a good way.
    However, going on tho your reply to my " why should the landlord change his password"
    One is suggesting that it is the landlord's fault that the internet is slow.He should do something about it.
    It reminds me of the sad case recently of the young girl who has just committed suicide.
    The press has lambasted the software provider ( was it facebook or someone? i do not use it)
    No one has said anything about the idiots who post the stuff in the first place. No one has said " what will we do to those people. All they can do is scream at Facebook.

A bit like the landlord- no one has said anything about the yuppies who you suggest might post obscene muck. No one has said anything about the bloke who might use Vic's App ( for want of a better description) & use up the bandwidth.
    Same thing really, is it not?

And please Vic- Do not get the hump - it is a thread drift that I admit should be in the lounge
    @ daydreamer I haven't got the hump with you it's fine really ,
    I just furious with the two who think it's ok to go around and suggest that I may steal from people or encourage others to do So ,
    So much that I was going to call Steph the editor up and complain about both of them .

Has for your landlord it's clear to me and I sure others who are more IT knowledgable will confirm if your inside and can't get a good signal it's nothing to do with anyone sitting out side who may or may not be buying a drink ,
    we always try and get as close to the box because I know the further you are way from the router and more people that useing the Internet between you and the router the slower data your going to recived
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 11-02-19 at 19:04.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by jordanbasset View Post
    Was in the process of downloading this App and it wanted permission to access various things on my phone, okay location was fair enough, it would need that. But it also wanted for me to give permission for it to access my camera and media files for example. I decided not to continue, am I being paranoid?
    Hi
    I been useing it over the summer and when I uploaded it , it never asked me for access to my camera , it may have changed but I know I was uploading the new Navionica app the other day and it asked me the same ,
    I just refused .
    So maybe this happen what ever app your downloading .
    By the way hope all ok and with some luck we see C and you at some point over the summer .
    Last edited by sailaboutvic; 11-02-19 at 19:23.
    Warning forumite dyslexia near by
    www.bluewatersailorcroatia.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Is it just a European thing having password protected wifi? Last time I was in the USA I was surprised how many establishments had open wifi.
    In Portugal the number of establishments (like public transport) providing free wifi are increasing rapidly but to keep some control and discourage heavy surfing/poaching, the footprint is often fairly restricted and the site is slow (adequate to get emails but not so good for pulling down games and real time video).
    Last edited by nortada; 11-02-19 at 21:22.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver. Hoping for the best whilst planning for the worst✔️

Thumbs down Re: Free wifi

Hi Vic, Please don't take it so personal.

You, I and a number of contributors provide information (hopefully useful) with a good heart so our consciences are clear.

Don't lose heart and quit (like another very helpful contributor).

I know how you feel and must admit, when trolled I feel like Mr T and say, "Stuff the lot of you!"

And to you detractors, I say if you drive the likes of Vic away YOU WILL BE THE LOSERS.
    Last edited by nortada; 11-02-19 at 21:08.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver. Hoping for the best whilst planning for the worst✔️

Thumbs up Re: Free wifi

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    It's "Wifi Map" as stated by Vic on Google Store.

Warning ...... There is a special place in Hell reserved for people who install this app.

Richard
    Going to be very crowded in Hell but at least all of my friends will be there.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS View Post
    I don't appear to be suggesting anything. What I am categorically and unequivocally stating is that it's an app. It's on Google Play and Apple Store. The end.

Richard
    I don't think that anyone has denied that what the OP was referring to is an app and is available on Google Play and Apple Store, so if that was the totality of your post it would have been unexceptional, if pointless. However, your post went on to say "The end. ". I took this to mean that you believed the proposition in the previous sentence self-evidently closed the arguement, either by settling it conclusively one way or the other or demonstrating that it was either trivial or unresolvable. If in fact "The end. " was merely a decoration, or an end-marker similar to the more usual full stop or the pro-word "out" in a radiotelephone message, I apologise for trying to extract more meaning from your post than it actually contained.

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    I don't think that anyone has denied that what the OP was referring to is an app and is available on Google Play and Apple Store, so if that was the totality of your post it would have been unexceptional, if pointless. However, your post went on to say "The end. ". I took this to mean that you believed the proposition in the previous sentence self-evidently closed the argument, either by settling it conclusively one way or the other or demonstrating that it was either trivial or unresolable. If in fact "The end. " was merely a decoration, or an end-marker similar to the more usual full stop or the pro-word "out" in a radiotelephone message, I apologize for trying to extract more meaning from your post than it actually contained.
    Beam me up Scotty!

Quote Originally Posted by alan_d View Post
    I don't think that anyone has denied that what the OP was referring to is an app and is available on Google Play and Apple Store, so if that was the totality of your post it would have been unexceptional, if pointless. However, your post went on to say "The end. ". I took this to mean that you believed the proposition in the previous sentence self-evidently closed the arguement, either by settling it conclusively one way or the other or demonstrating that it was either trivial or unresolvable. If in fact "The end. " was merely a decoration, or an end-marker similar to the more usual full stop or the pro-word "out" in a radiotelephone message, I apologise for trying to extract more meaning from your post than it actually contained.
    What's that funny smell?

Richard

Perhaps, just perhaps, more establishments should embrace people using their WiFi. On the whole, I doubt it slows the WiFi down significantly, unless it is a very busy establishment. I think there is a chance, a good chance that those who are using the WiFi, especially us sailors, will also go and use their facilites. I can imagine being moored up near a Greek taverna, using their WiFi, and, of course where would I go for a drink or breakfast, of course that taverna. Its like putting a bowl of water out for passing dogs, its a gratuity and if you get some customers for your kindness good on you. I actually take greater humbrage at those people who sit for hours in a cafe, with one coffee, take up a table, and believe you me, with many clients in the business that is their biggest gripe.

Quote Originally Posted by sailaboutvic View Post
    Hi
    I been useing it over the summer and when I uploaded it , it never asked me for access to my camera , it may have changed but I know I was uploading the new Navionica app the other day and it asked me the same ,
    I just refused .
    So maybe this happen what ever app your downloading .
    By the way hope all ok and with some luck we see C and you at some point over the summer .
    Look forward

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast