Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Finally a bike that fits any boat - a game changer?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsailor View Post
    In truth, is it likely that you would be stopped for riding this? …personally I doubt it
    You'd probably get stopped in the UK … they're anal about ​everything!

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    I've been riding my "marinized" brompton for a couple of months now. I'm finding even those wheels smaller than ideal for uneven London roads: those tiny wheels on the ebike in the video don't look like what I'd want for extended cruising in places where roads a are variably paved. The brompton doesn't fold as small as the ebike in the video but I've found locker space for it. The brompton has the significant advantage of being able to use chocolate as a power source so doesn't divert valuable solar power from necessary tasks like playing cat videos.
    I agree on the power source...

How have you 'marinized' it? Lots of mild steel fittings need replacing, or just oodles of oil everywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by weustace View Post
    How have you 'marinized' it? Lots of mild steel fittings need replacing, or just oodles of oil everywhere?
    Not very PBO but I didn't personally do anything:
    https://www.landauuk.com/products/la...n-marine-bike/

Having seen what happened to my motorcycle parked in Brighton Marina car park I wasn't about to shell out for a Brompton only for it to fall apart with rust in a couple of years. We'll see what this one looks like in a year of salt air...

As for exactly what is replaced with stainless...I've badgered them for the complete list, I'll have to remind them...

Looks quite impressive. I'm not sure how they've made it lighter than the standard one (as they claim in a presentation I came across)!

Quote Originally Posted by laika View Post
    Having seen what happened to my motorcycle parked in Brighton Marina car park I wasn't about to shell out for a Brompton only for it to fall apart with rust in a couple of years. We'll see what this one looks like in a year of salt air...
    Worry not, the chances of an expensive Brompton bike lasting a year in Brighton Marina is vanishingly small

Quote Originally Posted by Crisby View Post
    We have 2 road bikes on board, 18lb each, range unlimited (we’ll, depends on our legs) both stow below with the wheels off, oily chain is the worst thing!

Chris
    We've tried road bikes, Mountain Bikes and folders and carbon road bikes are the outright winners. Wheels off in seconds, weigh 65% as much as a Brompton, deal with real life roads, no steel apart from the consummable chain and require half the effort of a small wheeled bike.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234