Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Flags And Dual Nationality❓

If I had duel nationality and an unregistered boat in the UK, would it be permissible to fly the flag of my alternative nationality from the stern of this unregistered boat but then fly the red ensign from the stb spreader as a courtesy flag❓

Be a change from flying the red ensign from the stern and the other national flag from the port spreader as a house flag.✔️
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver. Hoping for the best whilst planning for the worst✔️

Default Re: Flags And Dual Nationality❓

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    If I had duel nationality and an unregistered boat in the UK, would it be permissible to fly the flag of my alternative nationality from the stern of this unregistered boat but then fly the red ensign from the stb spreader as a courtesy flag❓

Be a change from flying the red ensign from the stern and the other national flag from the port spreader as a house flag.✔️
    I don't think you could, for two reasons. First of all, a vessel doesn't have to be registered to be British, so you may well be in breach of the "flying any other distinctive national colours" under the MSA. Second, the country whose flag your flying may have its own rules, though it's hard to see how they could enforce them in the UK.

It might be safer to fly something which reflects your nationality but isn't actually another country's merchant flag at your stern. So, for example, Catalonia rather than Spain or Sicily rather than Italy. Like the Scottish Merchant Flag it may cause a few elderly yacht club types to rupture something, but hey, that frees up moorings.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

The ensign on the boat is nothing to do with your nationality, but the nationality of the boat. If you fly a Portuguese flag from the stern then you're asserting that the boat is registered in Portugal. Relatively unlikely in the UK that this will lead to trouble, but it's not impossible that HMRC might ask to see your boat's Portuguese papers, which you don't have.

Pete

As long as you have all the documentation when the people in black board you. Why make things complicated?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

I will say it slowly - like a vast number of boats in the UK that never leave UK Waters, the boat isn’t registered anywhere so doesn’t have any papers of registration, or ‘nationality’.

The vast number of unregistered boats in the UK I quote normally have a UK owner so fly the Red Duster or some funny flag (often not recognised outside the UK), suggesting that they are a rather ‘up market’ person in yottie terms.

So if a Guy from, say, the USA owned an unregistered boat in the UK, what should he fly, Stars and Stripes or Red Duster❓
    Last edited by nortada; 11-02-19 at 00:54.
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿Neither a Remainer or a Leaver. Hoping for the best whilst planning for the worst✔️

From I can gather, if the boat is not registered, then the nationality of the captain, skipper or (if on board) the owner's national flag should be flown.
    Strictly speaking, no other flags should be on the stern, but of course, who is checking these days?
    Quote Originally Posted by RYA
    The Ensign shows the country of registry of the vessel and indicates its nationality.
    A UK flagged vessel must wear her ensign as required by the Merchant Shipping Act, which includes when entering or leaving a foreign port and on demand. It is recommended that the ensign is worn at all times in daylight, especially when near to or in sight of land or another vessel.
    A UK registered vessel should wear the national maritime flag, the Red Ensign, unless entitled to wear a special Ensign. Wearing anything other than an authorised Ensign is a violation of British and International Law.
    Flying the flag of your 'other' nationality with a red ensign on the starboard spreader is quite correct - providing you have your 'other' passport with you at the time and are happy to go through all the customs checks, should they prove necessary - if you can find the customs chaps.
    Might be easier just to stick to the red ensign, especially if rules get more strictly enforced after April.

I'm from the USA, living in the UK* and cannot register my boat here, because the rules state I must be a UK, EU*, EEA* or British Protectorate citizenship/subject.
    Therefore I fly the Stars & Stripes at the stern, with a red ensign up on the spreaders.

As a thought - How many UK sailors running up & down the coast take their passports when they go out, I wonder?

*For now, at least
    Last edited by Greemble; 11-02-19 at 01:28. Reason: supplement
    Quote Originally Posted by Grace Hansen
    Don't be afraid that your life may end -
    Be more afraid that it may never begin

I will say it slowly - like a vast number of boats in the UK that never leave UK Waters, the boat isn’t registered anywhere so doesn’t have any papers of registration, or ‘nationality’.
    Saying it slowly doesn't make it true. Merchant Shipping Act 1995:

So if a Guy from, say, the USA owned an unregistered boat in the UK, what should he fly, Stars and Stripes or Red Duster❓
    Whether he can fly the stars and stripes depends on US regulations. Whether he can fly the Red Ensign sdepends on whether he is a qualified person in accordance with 1 (1) (d) (ii). It's an interesting question.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by Greemble View Post
    From I can gather, if the boat is not registered, then the nationality of the captain, skipper or (if on board) the owner's national flag should be flown.
    Strictly speaking, no other flags should be on the stern, but of course, who is checking these days?

Flying the flag of your 'other' nationality with a red ensign on the starboard spreader is quite correct - providing you have your 'other' passport with you at the time and are happy to go through all the customs checks, should they prove necessary - if you can find the customs chaps.
    Might be easier just to stick to the red ensign, especially if rules get more strictly enforced after April.

I'm from the USA, living in the UK* and cannot register my boat here, because the rules state I must be a UK, EU*, EEA* or British Protectorate citizenship/subject.
    Therefore I fly the Stars & Stripes at the stern, with a red ensign up on the spreaders.

As a thought - How many UK sailors running up & down the coast take their passports when they go out, I wonder?

*For now, at least
    An intersting response.

The only point I would make, if the vessel goes ‘overseas’, I believe it would have to be registered somewhere (SSR or other nationality registration), which of course, would change the whole scenatio.

I will say it slowly - like a vast number of boats in the UK that never leave UK Waters
    ;
    The people in black can board any vessel at any time. If they see another countries ensign they might be more interested in having a wee a chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    The people in black can board any vessel at any time. If they see another countries ensign they might be more interested in having a wee a chat.
    SBS or HMRC?

Suspect both operations have better things to do.

Is there any evidence that, in the UK, these organizations target foreign flagged visitors?

Provided you are legal, what is wrong with having a 'nice cup of tea' with upholders of the law'.

Short of carrying contraband (people, drugs, drugs etc.), unlike other countries, legality in the UK is a pretty low bar.

'Freedom Of The Seas' and all of that.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast