Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Flags And Dual Nationality❓

Quote Originally Posted by nortada View Post
    SBS or HMRC?

Suspect both operations have better things to do.
    If it was SBS they would not disclose that there were from Poole Sadly, it has been some time since we had Customs and Excise Officers. I understand that the Border Agency carry out the work previously undertaken by C&E Officers.

Perhaps it is the area I sail in, but see them quite often and crew on a vessel that gets boarded quite frequently, please don't ask why.
    Last edited by Sandy; 11-02-19 at 12:33. Reason: removal of a stray word. No change in meaning.
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

SBS or HMRC?
    HMRC.

They didn't have anything better to do than board us on a passage from Itchenor to Lymington a few years ago.

Provided you are legal, what is wrong with having a 'nice cup of tea' with upholders of the law'.
    Nothing at all - it was an interesting diversion for us. But if you are purporting to be a Portuguese-flagged vessel, but aren't registered in Portugal, are you in fact "legal"? And if you turn out to be a British Ship (whether registered or not) then you are certainly not "legal".

'Freedom Of The Seas' and all of that.
    Is that a Carnival cruise liner?

If not, what exactly is it?

Pete

SBS or HMRC?

Is there any evidence that, in the UK, these organizations target foreign flagged visitors?

Provided you are legal, what is wrong with having a 'nice cup of tea' with upholders of the law'.

Short of carrying contraband (people, drugs, drugs etc.), unlike other countries, legality in the UK is a pretty low bar.

'Freedom Of The Seas' and all of that.
    I have been searched by HMRC when arriving in England under a foreign flag (chartered boat fom France). They did search the boat, and I suspect they searched for "contraband", most probably people, as they only seemed to be interested in relatively large lockers. They did a check of the crew list and Passports, but I guess passport only would have been good enough. The whole procedure took around 10 minutes and they were very professional. It did not delay us in any way, they actually insisted we sail on (under spinnaker...).

Presumably someday one of your duel nationalities will shoot the other and thus solve the dilemma?

What's the point of an ensign, at least in home waters? I think you should think about your motives; if its sole purpose is to annoy others it makes you a sort of Troll.

If it's just to signify membership of some 'club', however informal (eg 'tedious xenophobes r us') then a pennant at masthead or cross-trees is what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc View Post
    What's the point of an ensign, at least in home waters? I think you should think about your motives; if its sole purpose is to annoy others it makes you a sort of Troll.

If it's just to signify membership of some 'club', however informal (eg 'tedious xenophobes r us') then a pennant at masthead or cross-trees is what to do.
    As the OP, it was just an innocent question, following a conversation in the bar.

With the approach of Brexit numerous Brits in Portugal have now got dual (UK/Portuguese) residency; hence the discussion so if there is any trolling, it ain't coming from us Guv

If I had dual residency and an unregistered boat in the UK, would I do it?

So as not to offend the sensitive, probably not.

But there again.

As on here, it could make a good talking point.
    Last edited by nortada; 11-02-19 at 20:04.
    🇵🇹Neither A Remainer or A Brexiteer be.
    Hoping for the best but planning for the worst✔️

With the approach of Brexit numerous Brits in Portugal have now got dual (UK/Portuguese) residency; hence the discussion so if there is any trolling, it ain't coming from us Guv

If I had dual residency and an unregistered boat in the UK, would I do it?
    This has got to be wind-up. Having residence elsewhere has no bearing whatsoever on personal or boat's nationality. Flying a Portuguese or any other foreign ensign on a UK owned and based boat would be against the law and, in my opinion a pretty dumb action.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    This has got to be wind-up.
    I don't think it's a windup, just a fundamental misconception that a vessel's flag state somehow depends on the nationality of its crew, when in fact the two are entirely separate and largely unrelated things.

Pete

Cool Re: Flags And Dual Nationality❓

Heres a nice flag
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slowtack View Post
    Heres a nice flag
    The UK has an exception to UNCLOS laws which state that a boat must bear the flag of the country where it is registered. If you have a British boat that goes abroad it must be registered and the flag must reflect this registration.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast