Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Yacht delivery Co's and Engines?

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    Perhaps PM Halcyon Yachts, who's a member here?
    Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    On safety and insurance grounds it might be a no no. Is it a quick hop or overnighters with requirements for lights? How do you charge batteries? Do you have solar or wind power? Suppose you are becalmed and you have no means of propulsion in collision situation?
    As others say I suppose there is a price for everything.
    Why would it be a no-no on safety grounds? I sailed her into her present harbour, by myself with no engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Why would it be a no-no on safety grounds? I sailed her into her present harbour, by myself with no engine.
    And I use most tools in my workshop with no particular safety precautions, but if I set foot on the shop floor at work then I have to be wearing steel toecaps and safety glasses, and carrying ear protection. People running a business always have to be a bit more cautious than private individuals.

(Certainly not saying that nobody should or would take it on, just that they may have a more restrictive requirement than you do for your own purposes - as you recognise by having posted this thread.)

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 11-02-19 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    And I use most tools in my workshop with no particular safety precautions, but if I set foot on the shop floor at work then I have to be wearing steel toecaps and safety glasses, and carrying ear protection. People running a business always have to be a bit more cautious than private individuals.

(Certainly not saying that nobody should or would take it on, just that they may have a more restrictive requirement than you do for your own purposes - as you recognise by having posted this thread.)

Pete
    Exactly

S.Norway to the Tyne, heavy but fast gaff cutter. If you are interested, you can ask on Weds when hopefully we'll meet up in So'ton.
    I don't really fancy typing out every tiny detail on here, I was just asking about the engine really...
    Actually the route and boat details are probably quite relevant to whether it is a safe option or not, far from “tiny details”.

A straight across North Sea crossing is probably better than most for an engineless boat, though not sure what speed you seem to think you can average to do Norway Tyne in 36 hours.
    Would need a weather forecast that didn’t risk the West Coast of Denmark becoming a dangerous lee shore, and later the entrance to the Tyne.
    Are you proposing to sail into the dock at the Tyne marina, across the tide? Perhaps doable but “interesting”?

And as others note, secondary electrical charging sources will be important.

Let's say you have no wind or some reason not to be able to sail. Not that you've stated the route I'd say it's even more of a no no. There are a lot of rigs out there you'd want to be able to avoid. I think your passage timing is a bit off and if you have to go upwind it's way off.
    Last edited by Spyro; 11-02-19 at 17:16.

Pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Actually the route and boat details are probably quite relevant to whether it is a safe option or not, far from “tiny details”.

A straight across North Sea crossing is probably better than most for an engineless boat, though not sure what speed you seem to think you can average to do Norway Tyne in 36 hours.
    Would need a weather forecast that didn’t risk the West Coast of Denmark becoming a dangerous lee shore, and later the entrance to the Tyne.
    Are you proposing to sail into the dock at the Tyne marina, across the tide? Perhaps doable but “interesting”?

And as others note, secondary electrical charging sources will be important.
    Thanks for your contribution, I was just asking about delivery companies and engines really, rather than general advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
    Let's say you have no wind or some reason not to be able to sail. Not that you've stated the route I'd say it's even more of a no no. There are a lot of rigs out there you'd want to be able to avoid. I think your passage timing is a bit off and if you have to go upwind it's way off.
    Thank you for your contribution.

Do all yacht delivery companies insist on a working engine?
    Well-found fully equipped yacht, 36 hr passage, no awkward bits at either end, well-trodden route, me plus two of them. Totally flexible on timing, according to weather.
    But the engine is seized up.
    To save my and their time with fruitless phone calls...does anyone here reckon the lack of engine would mean a no-no for professional crew to be involved?
    The actual sailing isn't remotely difficult.
    Are modern delivery crews actually able to sail without diesel engines, or is it asking too much? Maybe some insurance problem?
    Thanks for up to date info, especially from delivery co's. ( From whom a "yes, in principle we would be up for it" would be very welcome...)
    Thanks for suggestions, it would be my first ever time to employ somebody on a yacht delivery, rather than crewing on one..
    The biggest problem is the insurance.
    Insurance companies tend to stick to every bureaucratic cavil for not paying .
    As the skipper before leaving must check that the boat is perfectly in order, and as a boat with the engine out of order it could not be considered in perfect condition, and as the problem is knew since the leaving, there is a good chance that, in the event of bad problems, the insurance could create problems, and find a way to not pay.

In practice it depends on the navigation area,
    for example, in areas with strong tides, it could be dangerous find yourself near a rocky cost without wind and without engine,
    other times (ex. In Med, where there’s no strong currents) it can be done without problems.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast