Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Yacht delivery Co's and Engines?

The biggest problem is the insurance.
    Insurance companies tend to stick to every bureaucratic cavil for not paying .
    As the skipper before leaving must check that the boat is perfectly in order, and as a boat with the engine out of order it could not be considered in perfect condition, and as the problem is knew since the leaving, there is a good chance that, in the event of bad problems, the insurance could create problems, and find a way to not pay.

In practice it depends on the navigation area,
    for example, in areas with strong tides, it could be dangerous find yourself near a rocky cost without wind and without engine,
    other times (ex. In Med, where thereís no strong currents) it can be done without problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Thank you for your contribution.
    You're welcome, you did ask why it would be a no no on safety grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    Thanks for your contribution, I was just asking about delivery companies and engines really, rather than general advice.
    What I posted I thought were relevant factors that a delivery company would take into account. If you list on an open forum expect open comments, otherwise you would just email the delivery companies surely. Out

I think it will probably be a show stopper for most reputable delivery companies.
    Insurance problems, A non functioning engine on a boat which is supposed to have an engine will probably be considered a major deficiency by insurance.
    If you pay me to do something, I take on the responsibility and liability. Most will not wat this liability. Unless it’s a boat not intended to have an engine.

There is another problem which has nothing to do with insurance or safety. Most delivery skippers or companies will bid on a job based on how long it’s likely to take and plan on making a good speed and using the engine.
    Sail only the time frame becomes unpredictable. To make it worth while. A delivery skipper or company will have to charge quite high for the distance. It may take quite a lot longer than a regular delivery.

An old Gaff cutter.. is it old enough to have been built without an engine?

Hiring an individual may be possible. I would wonder about the individual who is willing. I would want to check his references. Why. Because he is agreeing to do something most would not do.
    Are they reputable or a cowboys?

Having said this. Sailing an old gaffer across the North Sea with no engine. Would be fun. If the boat were otherwise serviceable and seaworthy and fully insured for the voyage.
    I would probably do it just for fun, expenses and a nice bottle of Malt. Which means I might be a cowboy. I’m certainly not a delivery Skipper
    Unfortunately I live to far away and probably not available.

You might be best just to get some mates who are game, together for an adventure.
    Last edited by Uricanejack; 12-02-19 at 01:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    You might be best just to get some mates who are game, together for an adventure.
    My thoughts also, if he sailed it in sans engine then to continue on shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
    Having said this. Sailing an old gaffer across the North Sea with no engine. Would be fun.
    This is my opinion on this too. It's a shame that our sailing skills and the policies of insurance companies effectively prevent people doing things that used to be normal.

People sailed boats and ships across the world (not just the North Sea) for many years for work, exploration and adventure. We're now effectively prevented from doing this by a broken engine. What has our society become?

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    This is my opinion on this too. It's a shame that our sailing skills and the policies of insurance companies effectively prevent people doing things that used to be normal.

People sailed boats and ships across the world (not just the North Sea) for many years for work, exploration and adventure. We're now effectively prevented from doing this by a broken engine. What has our society become?
    Blame the compensation culture and ambulance chasing lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    Not really, you can still do that. It is if you want to pay other people in a professional capacity you may have problems

I should imagine most harbours with commercial traffic would require you to take a pilot and pay for towage to ensure a safe entry to the port .Certainly sailing to anchour in a roadstead is no problem itís the harbour bit.Many sailing barges took tos to enter harbours and many sailed in on their own but in those days there where boatmen about and it was a common daily occurrence

Yes the "mates who are together for an adventure" version seems to be gathering momentum anyway
    Some very interesting and helpful comments though, thanks..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast