Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Re: Yacht delivery Co's and Engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    I sailed her into her present harbour, by myself with no engine.
    In this case, what exactly are you looking to hire a delivery skipper for? You're planning to be on board for the passage, so it's not a case of needing a boat moved while you're busy elsewhere. You can handle the boat in close quarters under sail singlehanded and don't consider the crossing to be a big deal, so it's not a lack of skill on your part. It sounds more like you're seeking a couple of extra crew for the passage, rather than a delivery service as such. That seems like a far easier problem to solve - assuming an otherwise sound boat I'd be up for it myself (if you'd have me ) had I not already committed most of my leave from work this year.

Pete

As long as you have a good anchor (or better still two) good chain, good rope I can't see it being a problem. The insurance doesn't require a full survey for deliveries as fare as I'm aware... sounds like a fun trip. Do you have an outboard and dinghy? we used one as a means to motor when there was no wind on a yacht with a broken engine once.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Delivery trip from Hamble to Conwy, our engine packed up coming out of Falmouth, instructor on board (just two of us) just said "it's a yacht, what's the problem". As Neil_Y says, dinghy alongside even with small outboard will move quite a large yacht if necessary.

I'm impressed that it took so long for "it will invalidate your insurance" to pop up.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    In this case, what exactly are you looking to hire a delivery skipper for? You're planning to be on board for the passage, so it's not a case of needing a boat moved while you're busy elsewhere. You can handle the boat in close quarters under sail singlehanded and don't consider the crossing to be a big deal, so it's not a lack of skill on your part. It sounds more like you're seeking a couple of extra crew for the passage, rather than a delivery service as such. That seems like a far easier problem to solve - assuming an otherwise sound boat I'd be up for it myself (if you'd have me ) had I not already committed most of my leave from work this year.

Pete
    I wasn't looking for a 'skipper' as such.. just thinking ahead, in case everyone I know is busy.
    Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

Quote Originally Posted by JumbleDuck View Post
    I'm impressed that it took so long for "it will invalidate your insurance" to pop up.
    Yes, quite They are fine with it luckily..and why not.
    Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed.

I wasn't looking for a 'skipper' as such
    Ok - that's normally what a "Yacht delivery company", as in the thread title, means though.

There are crewing agencies like Crewseekers which can help you find additional hands, either paid or for expenses or self-funding for the experience, with commensurate levels of skill and qualifications.

Pete

The parameters have changed!
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

They used to sail with out engines.........used to sink alot too

Do all yacht delivery companies insist on a working engine?
    Well-found fully equipped yacht, 36 hr passage, no awkward bits at either end, well-trodden route, me plus two of them. Totally flexible on timing, according to weather.
    But the engine is seized up.
    To save my and their time with fruitless phone calls...does anyone here reckon the lack of engine would mean a no-no for professional crew to be involved?
    The actual sailing isn't remotely difficult.
    Are modern delivery crews actually able to sail without diesel engines, or is it asking too much? Maybe some insurance problem?
    Thanks for up to date info, especially from delivery co's. ( From whom a "yes, in principle we would be up for it" would be very welcome...)
    Thanks for suggestions, it would be my first ever time to employ somebody on a yacht delivery, rather than crewing on one..
    One of our skippers sailed his own yacht (with no engine and no electrics) from the UK to the Caribbean. He did this single handed. Rather him than me to be honest...

It's not a question of our ability to do it, it's a question of whether it is responsible or safe to do it. We do all we can to minimise risk to vessel and crew. Our yacht delivery contract states:

"On the agreed commencement date the yacht must be:

In commission, clean and ready for sea;
    All machinery and gear fully serviced, maintained and in full working order;
    Standing and running rigging fully serviced, maintained and in good working order;
    Sails in good working order, of sufficient quantity and appropriate for the passage to be undertaken;"

To this end we would not set off on delivery with a known fault such as a seized engine.

I recommend that you discuss it with your insurance company. Even if you do find someone to help you, you may find that knowingly setting off with such an issue invalidates your cover.

Pete
    International Yacht Delivery.

http://www.halcyonyachts.com/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast