Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

Default Re: Yacht delivery Co's and Engines?

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Yachts View Post
    One of our skippers sailed his own yacht (with no engine and no electrics) from the UK to the Caribbean. He did this single handed. Rather him than me to be honest...

It's not a question of our ability to do it, it's a question of whether it is responsible or safe to do it. We do all we can to minimise risk to vessel and crew. Our yacht delivery contract states:

"On the agreed commencement date the yacht must be:

• In commission, clean and ready for sea;
    • All machinery and gear fully serviced, maintained and in full working order;
    • Standing and running rigging fully serviced, maintained and in good working order;
    • Sails in good working order, of sufficient quantity and appropriate for the passage to be undertaken;"

To this end we would not set off on delivery with a known fault such as a seized engine.

I recommend that you discuss it with your insurance company. Even if you do find someone to help you, you may find that knowingly setting off with such an issue invalidates your cover.

Pete
    I think Pete puts it very well. One thing that he doesn't mention, perhaps out of modesty, is that the professional delivery company have one other thing to consider - their own reputation. There may be no greater risk of things going wrong, but the newspaper headline starting, "Although the engine was seized solid..." if something does go wrong would do a delivery company's reputation no good at all.

In my first four decades of sailing I owned two boats with no engine, one with a Stuart Turner (which I threw out) and one with a very tired MD2 which overheated at the drop of a hat, so I am very used to sailing without an engine, but I am not depending on a reputation for prudence with other people's property...

Have you got a dinghy and outboard you can sling alongside to park it with? I used to use an 8ft hard stem dinghy and a 2hp outboard alongside my Folkboat and once it got going it was no problem at all.

Another problem could be that many marinas ban entering under sail. OK, you can do it without endangering other people's pride and joy, but a lot of people can't (I'm not too sure of my own ability!), so it isn't an unreasonable ban. In any case, most of the ones I'm familiar with have narrow entrances and several sharp bends once inside; feasible for a small sailing vessel or dinghy but not the sort of thing the OP describes.

In the days when few yachts had engines, it was accepted that knocks and bangs would happen, and the boats were made of wood, so most such knocks could be made good with a bit of putty, some sandpaper and a lick of paint. But gel-coats are somewhat harder to patch up.

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    In the days when few yachts had engines, it was accepted that knocks and bangs would happen, and the boats were made of wood
    Also marinas weren't common in the first place

I have a 1930s pilot book which describes only one place we would recognise as a modern marina - described as a "marine garage" because the modern term hadn't been invented yet. It's clearly a complete novelty to the author. He praises the convenience of the arrangement once moored, but treats getting in or out as a major challenge and advises waiting for slack water to attempt it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Also marinas weren't common in the first place

I have a 1930s pilot book which describes only one place we would recognise as a modern marina - described as a "marine garage" because the modern term hadn't been invented yet. It's clearly a complete novelty to the author. He praises the convenience of the arrangement once moored, but treats getting in or out as a major challenge and advises waiting for slack water to attempt it.

Pete
    As you say! I started sailing in the late 50s and early 60s, and there were certainly no marinas on the east coast of Scotland in those days; you tied up alongside a harbour wall, mostly. I think marinas existed, but only in places like the Solent. Climbing a slippery iron ladder with a miniature dachshund under one arm was great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    I think Pete puts it very well. One thing that he doesn't mention, perhaps out of modesty, is that the professional delivery company have one other thing to consider - their own reputation. There may be no greater risk of things going wrong, but the newspaper headline starting, "Although the engine was seized solid..." if something does go wrong would do a delivery company's reputation no good at all.

In my first four decades of sailing I owned two boats with no engine, one with a Stuart Turner (which I threw out) and one with a very tired MD2 which overheated at the drop of a hat, so I am very used to sailing without an engine, but I am not depending on a reputation for prudence with other people's property...
    Good point about the reputation etc. A very tired MD2 you say? Funnily enough...

Quote Originally Posted by AntarcticPilot View Post
    Another problem could be that many marinas ban entering under sail. OK, you can do it without endangering other people's pride and joy, but a lot of people can't (I'm not too sure of my own ability!), so it isn't an unreasonable ban. In any case, most of the ones I'm familiar with have narrow entrances and several sharp bends once inside; feasible for a small sailing vessel or dinghy but not the sort of thing the OP describes.

In the days when few yachts had engines, it was accepted that knocks and bangs would happen, and the boats were made of wood, so most such knocks could be made good with a bit of putty, some sandpaper and a lick of paint. But gel-coats are somewhat harder to patch up.
    That's what bowsprits are for! (They've got an arrival pontoon and a workboat anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by Halcyon Yachts View Post
    One of our skippers sailed his own yacht (with no engine and no electrics) from the UK to the Caribbean. He did this single handed. Rather him than me to be honest...

It's not a question of our ability to do it, it's a question of whether it is responsible or safe to do it. We do all we can to minimise risk to vessel and crew. Our yacht delivery contract states:

"On the agreed commencement date the yacht must be:

In commission, clean and ready for sea;
    All machinery and gear fully serviced, maintained and in full working order;
    Standing and running rigging fully serviced, maintained and in good working order;
    Sails in good working order, of sufficient quantity and appropriate for the passage to be undertaken;"

To this end we would not set off on delivery with a known fault such as a seized engine.

I recommend that you discuss it with your insurance company. Even if you do find someone to help you, you may find that knowingly setting off with such an issue invalidates your cover.

Pete
    Very interesting thanks for info.
    There are still sailing boats in use, which have never had an engine fitted because engines weren't invented back then, I casually wonder if they would be acceptable

"Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

She's certainly an interesting boat.

But the length of the North Sea? In winter? With that ould pirate...?

Could make a man turn to religion... or sumfink.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast