Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Posting Life Jackets in UK

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    So when we buy a lifejacket, or indeed simply rearming kit, from an online chandlers, how do they send it? All seem to offer delivery on them.
    Indeed - I normally only need new inflators at service time, but this year I needed a CO2 cartridge as well. I refrained from posting earlier as I'm not certain how it was sent, but it was put through my letterbox rather than signed for and I'm maybe 75% sure it had Royal Mail postage on the packet.

Personally I'd happily post a lifejacket to a mate, with the cartridge unscrewed but wrapped in a layer of bubble-wrap or something and packed inside the parcel.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by skipper_stu View Post
    Further to my post about getting two lifejkts home by Ryanair from Portugal, I now need to post them to my mates. However, I am getting confused messages from Royal Mail and Interparcel about them being prohibited! Can any one come up with exactly who will accept them please?
    Anyone will take them if you just describe the contents as safety equipment. I would unscrew the gas cartridges though.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham376 View Post
    Anyone will take them if you just describe the contents as safety equipment. I would unscrew the gas cartridges though.
    Just had this from dhl
    Stuart,

Thank you for contacting DHL Express.

I have contacted our restricted commodities team who have advised we will be able to ship this for you, however once generating the paperwork, we require a specific description to be stated;

If the shipment is going via AIR FRIEGHT you would need to state "Not Restricted As Per PI955".

if the shipment if going via ROAD FRIEGHT you would need to state "Not Restricted As Per SP296".

Kind Regards,

Arizoo
    Customer Service Advisor

DHL International (UK) Ltd
    Customer Service
    EMA Cargo West
    East Midlands Airport
    Castle Donington
    Derbyshire
    DE74 2TR

Tel: 0844 248 0844
    Email: ukcustomer.focus@dhl.com

Quote Originally Posted by pvb View Post
    How do they know what's in a package? Are you suggesting Royal Mail x-ray every parcel?
    I'm fairly sure they scan everything going by air (which can be some surprising routes eg Exeter to East Anglia).

When they first restricted them, we had a couple taken out by RM.
    allGadgets Marine
    www.allgadgets.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by langstonelayabout View Post
    I'm sure when the OP said 'detach' the cylinder, they meant detach and remove it, not just detach it.

The person receiving the life jacket can use this opportunity to get themselves a new canister with today's date on it.
    So if I received a lifejackets without the canister, the first thing I would do would be go online to buy a canister which would then be posted out to me.
    In fact most of my lifejackets were bought online - and interestingly despatched fully armed

When I shipped some (possibly the ones BoB referred to) by Royal Mail, they asked what was in the parcel. I told them and they simply recorded “jackets” on whatever paperwork they had.

The North West, either England, Wales or France

I regularly buy CO2 cycle puncture cylinders online and none of the major bike shops seem to have an issue posting them out.

I ordered a new lifejacket from Germany. It was accompanied by a litre of highly-inflammable diesel bug killer (seemed cost effective to stock up for , hopefully, many years). No problem at all flying over the UK.

You can put your hard hats away as according to the tracker it landed safely in Dublin yesterday evening.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12