Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Anchoring in Brittany

I am planning on doing some anchoring in Brittany on my Leisure 27 sailing boat. I have a windlass. I have 30m chain and 25m rope. With such big tides in France I am considering going for 80 m of chain with my rope.Is this enough. I think I will need to replace all of the chain or is there a way of joining chain using a windlass. Those links you hammer together do not look very safe. The weakest link?

Default Re: Anchoring in Brittany

Really depends on where you are planning to anchor. Do you have a fin or bildge keels?
    Cynical Scottish almost retired engineer.

N or S Brittany?
    N MHWS is around the 12m mark, S is around the 7m mark.
    I would leave your chain as is assuming 8mm and double your rope.
    Another assumption is that if the forecast isn't too good you won't be anchoring anyway
    MontyMariner.co.uk
    Facilitated by AWESEM WP Agency

Quote Originally Posted by jetgo888 View Post
    I am planning on doing some anchoring in Brittany on my Leisure 27 sailing boat. I have a windlass. I have 30m chain and 25m rope. With such big tides in France I am considering going for 80 m of chain with my rope.Is this enough. I think I will need to replace all of the chain or is there a way of joining chain using a windlass. Those links you hammer together do not look very safe. The weakest link?

I agree with LadyinBed, unless you habitually ride out poor weather, on big springs, you would be ok with what you have - plus a bit of extra rope. There is nowhere on this coast where you are more than a short day sail from good shelter with fixed moorings

However, if your present chain is showing it's age now would be the time to change it. I am not convinced I would put 80m on a smaller boat, perhaps 60? That would see you right for most circumstances and you could still have the rope in reserve.

I don't like the C links either, some are said to be better than others but it's reported that they cause problems at the winch and when I have used them they have always rusted badly.

Quote Originally Posted by jetgo888 View Post
    Just watch the weight of so much chain on such a boat.

If you can find a suitably sized Crosby link; AFAIK they are lift rated.

Quote Originally Posted by doug748 View Post
    I am not convinced I would put 80m on a smaller boat, perhaps 60?
    +1, though it depends on the hull shape. When we got Ariam (slim 34') she felt huge after our previous 24' and I went a bit overboard on ground tackle with a 20kg Spade and 80m of chain. This was more than the buoyancy of her bow could support, and she was noticeably trimmed down by the head and crashing through waves instead of riding over them. I then cut back to a mere 20m of chain (and 100m of rope), keeping the weight in the anchor where it could do most good.

I don't know how much weight the bow of a Leisure 27 can support, but in your circumstances I'd be looking to extend the rope rather than the chain.

Pete

I see from photos of a Leisure 27 on a broker's website that the chain locker is well forward. 80m of chain is a lot of weight to carry so far forward.

I have a 28 foot Twister and my 65m of 8mm chain is carried in a chain locker between the V-berth. I reckoned 65m would be adequate for Brittany where I keep my boat and so it has proved to be.

I use 50m of chain in the Bristol Channel with its 14m tides and I doubt my 31ft BC boat could hold much more in chain locker. I obviously cant anchor in 20m as I could not get 3 times the depth. In bad winds and big spring tides I wouldn't want to sit out in tideway but I have rope as well to get me my 5 times in that situation, though in the Scilly Isles with its admittedly smaller tides it seemed more sensible in a F8+ to get redundancy by setting a second anchor on the rope. I am of to N Brittany in late May in a 27ft with 50m chain on way to Morbihan and see no reason to change my tackle.
    Last edited by oldmanofthehills; 12-02-19 at 15:39.
    A boat is for going places

The OP has very prudently not raised the issue of which anchor(s) he will carry..... so I shall.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    The OP has very prudently not raised the issue of which anchor(s) he will carry..... so I shall.
    The OP is obviously very happy with existing anchor and is more concerned about the rode. The best anchor is the one that works for YOU !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast