Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Anchoring in Brittany

Huh! Spoilsport....

A Brittany must be the best for the area the OP intend to go
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

So....

the Brittany anchor has protected geographical indication (PGI) ? Like Gorgonzola, I suppose,
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Thanks for the advice. I have a fin keel and plow anchor. Yes maybe 8o metre could be too heavy in a 27 foot boat. Will try 60 metre. I just like the idea of the weight in a unforcast blow. The boat as a lot of weight on it all way through the boat as I am a livaboard and hope it will level out. I can always have some cut off. I do not race anymore. Should I upgrade to a Rocna? for added security?

?

Quote Originally Posted by jetgo888 View Post
    Should I upgrade to a Rocna? for added security?
    ?
    IMHO, yes, or a Spade; much better use of weight than all that chain.

That said, you’ll have really kicked it off!!

All you need to do now, is ask if the SNCF in Brittany is as good as the RNLI and the forum will spontaneously self-destruct
    Last edited by dom; 12-02-19 at 20:48.

Thanks for the advice. I have a fin keel and plow anchor. Yes maybe 8o metre could be too heavy in a 27 foot boat. Will try 60 metre. I just like the idea of the weight in a unforcast blow. The boat as a lot of weight on it all way through the boat as I am a livaboard and hope it will level out. I can always have some cut off. I do not race anymore. Should I upgrade to a Rocna? for added security?
    Being liveaboard, rather than just a two week annual holiday, probably makes a big difference.
    Investment in really “bullet proof” anchoring kit will pay dividends, literally, in avoiding having to pay marina fees.
    Personally I would go for the 60m chain and a Rocna or similar (as personally I did dump the Delta and short chain when got my boat).
    But if just a summer cruise probably wouldn’t, as would be in harbour more often.

I am planning on doing some anchoring in Brittany on my Leisure 27 sailing boat. I have a windlass. I have 30m chain and 25m rope. With such big tides in France I am considering going for 80 m of chain with my rope.Is this enough. I think I will need to replace all of the chain or is there a way of joining chain using a windlass. Those links you hammer together do not look very safe. The weakest link?
    I use 8mm x 20m chain plus 20m rode on 31' 4 tonne boat. I've anchored in a lot of places and the only place where I had trouble with holding was off the E side of the Ile d'Arz in the Golfe de Morbihan. I wasn't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by dunedin View Post
    Being liveaboard, rather than just a two week annual holiday, probably makes a big difference.
    Investment in really “bullet proof” anchoring kit will pay dividends, literally, in avoiding having to pay marina fees.
    Personally I would go for the 60m chain and a Rocna or similar (as personally I did dump the Delta and short chain when got my boat).
    +1 The only problem with new generation anchors (I use a Manson Supreme) is they are more awkward on the bow roller
    A boat is for going places

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Do buy an Alderney ring, unless you have an [insert name of butt of your jokes anchor] which wouldn't hold anyway.

I have an article out at the moment on our experience of Brittany in Sailing Today, March edition. We anchored most of the time in April / May and rarely needed more than 40m and always prefer to sleep on 5 x scope. We used a nice book called secret anchorages of Brittany. We didn't bother with a pilot book.

IMG_1987.JPG
    www.Chasing-Contours.com - A circumnavigation by boat, bikes, climbing & paragliding

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast