Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel

Default Fuel

Hi soon to take delivery of a new small powerboat and keen in the future to take a trip to London from Ramsgate and overnight in St Katherine's Dock. I've been checking but petrol seems really hard to come by other than Ramsgate or Chatham and a return trip would be cutting it close. Anything I'm missing here?

Default Re: Fuel

There is a petrol station within walking distance of st Kats.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Default ambitious trip or what ? :)

Had loads of fun in petrol boats and one way or another managed to extend our trips well beyond the normal fuel range with bit of planning.
    It is vital that you know your fuel use, add a bit and then add a bit more for peace of mind.
    The lower Thames is a a grim enviroment for small boats (inc mine in that ) virtually nowhere to refuel or run for cover if things break or the weather goes wrong.
    Be well prepared to do any leg in one hop.
    In your favour, new boat so reliable and suspect you are quick boat and can complete trip pretty quickly.
    Pick your day, getting weather right is your primary concern.A good calm day and a wonderful experience.
    You really do not want a strong easterly wind going against any ebb tide.You will be forced to slow down extending the misery for you and more importantly your crew.
    Anywho....... after probably putting you off completely, couple of other things, LIFEJACKETS and radio, mobile phone as last resort only.
    as for refuelling.....remember you will be carrying probably 40l of blimming heavy fuel to boat and possibly filling your boat rocking and rolling about, even on sheltered mooring, imagine doing it at sea !
    As CLB has mentioned fuel at St Kats but after that...............
    Petrol station about 1/2 mile away from the pier at Gravesend.
    Petrol station about 1 mile away from Queenborough ATL.
    You will be carrying probably 40l of blimming heavy fuel.
    The leg from Sheerness to Ramsgate would be my main concern with nowhere friendly to divert unless dire emergency and does need bit of extra planning especially with regards to which route round coast and North Foreland.
    Any other questions just ask, most of this forum done the Thames section in boats of all shapes and sizes.
    Ps. Exactly what boat have you bought. ?
    Last edited by oldgit; 12-02-19 at 08:35.

Default Re: ambitious trip or what ? :)

Thanks for this. The boat is a Cap Camarat 7.5wa and has 280l tank. Walking fuel to the boat doesn't seem viable to me. I I did read the range of the boat is approx 165nm at 30 knots but that's from a review so not sure how accurate that may be. I did try and research St. Katherine's Dock but it just suggest the Thames barge which only does diesel - it seems crazy to me? I have got Chatham Marina but that seems like a bit a detour. Top speed is 45 knots but won't be doing that too often!

H,mm need somebody better at sums, but 2 litres per mile seems bit optimistic to me ?
    Rule of thumb is that you will want at least 1/3 of a tank left at end of journey for safety and depending on fuel pick up pipe not all of that may be accessible.
    That gives with full tank at start of journey about 90 miles duration . Approx 50 miles from St Kats to Sheerness. ? and 50 from Sheerness to Ramsgate.
    The Thames barge only does diesel.
    Sounds like great trip to me.....and Ramsgate has recently been dredged courtesy of
    Rt Hon Chris Grayling.
    MP for the well known coastal town of Ewell and industrial wasteland of Epsom.
    You might need to watch out for all the ferry traffic...or not in this case..
    Fuel dock supplies Petrol and Diesel,nearest cheap supermarket petrol in Ramsgate is fair way out of town.
    Last edited by oldgit; 12-02-19 at 10:38.

Other option is to arrange for someone to drive to st Kats to meet you with jerry cans. Beware the congestion charge zone though. You just enter it as you enter st Kats from memory.

What outboard you got. I have some figures for different outboards on different beats. I may have something useful in terms of real life consumption.
    Last edited by CLB; 12-02-19 at 10:25.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

Thanks guys - really helpful. It's a new Yamaha F300 BETX. Various reviews have said they've done some technical bits to the engine to make it more fuel efficient but am aware there's no such thing as fuel efficiency on water! 90 miles seems a bit stingy with a full tank but was aware that all the fuel can't be used. I'm new to boating btw.

Our "gas guzzling" Mercruiser V8 achieves a measured 1 litre per mile at its optimum cruise. However wind, tide and swell kills those figures pretty quickly
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

Also phone whatever harbours/marinas are along the route, whilst they may not have petrol they may know of a delivery service that will attend.

Specific to London area - https://www.zebra-fuel.com/

EDIT: Just read their FAQs - Diesel only at the moment due to fuel carriage regulations
    Last edited by mlines; 12-02-19 at 11:35.
    Regal 2250 - see www.sportsboat.org.uk

After trip down from Teddington might just need top up, difficult to find commercial outfit delivering just 20 gallons or so.
    Fuel consumption appears to be as follows
    20knots 26 LPH
    40 knots 80 LPH.
    Assume those figures do not not include, full fuel and water, let alone her junk and the booze

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast