Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fuel

Default Re: ambitious trip or what ? :)

Quote Originally Posted by oldgit View Post
    After trip down from Teddington might just need top up, difficult to find commercial outfit delivering just 20 gallons or so.
    Fuel consumption appears to be as follows
    20knots 26 LPH
    40 knots 80 LPH.
    Assume those figures do not not include, full fuel and water, let alone her junk and the booze
    It's definitelty all the booze that will affect the mpg

Thank you

Not sure if this is going to help or confuse the situation more...

Last year I took my Sealine S24 with a 4.3 V6 (I believe your outboard is a 4.2 V6) from St Kats to Chatham, via the Red Sands forts. With a bit of poetic license, working off St Kats>Red Sands, then Red Sands to Ramsgate, I reckon your journey would be about 74nm.

Not that we can directly compare engines, but my journey (St Kats to Chatham) consumed 90 litres of petrol over 69nm (tracked in Navionics, tank brimmed again at Chatham). We stuck to speed limits in London then cruised at about 23 kts. We slowed down past Shellhaven due to a chop. I would imagine your new outboard will be a lot more efficient than my 1997 inboard/sterndrive.

I'm positive you'll make the journey to St Kats (as long as you don't pin the throttle!) but it's the availability of fuel at the other end that may hinder you. I would certainly plan a diversion to Chatham on the return leg. You can always stick 40 litres in at St Kats (if you can find a friendly cabbie).
    Last edited by jct1981; 12-02-19 at 13:52.

Lots of talk about Chatham, but, unless its changed, you can get petrol at Gillingham, which is slightly nearer the river mouth and outside of the lock.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

I'd like to think I could do Ramsgate to St. Katherines to Chatham but to be safe I'll probably top up at Chatham on the way. Once I've done it once, then I'll have a better feel. Thanks for all the advice. There's a niche on the market for petrol on the Thames. It's crazy that it seems so hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by CLB View Post
    What outboard you got. I have some figures for different outboards on different beats. I may have something useful in terms of real life consumption.
    The closest I can come up with is a 7.5WA with a 250hp Yamaha, which will be very similar to your boat.

Its best cruising economy appears to be at around 22 knots where it is using around 1.6 ltr per NM
    Its worst economy is at around 8 knots, or above 35 knots, where it is using around 2.2 - 2.4 L per NM

I believe the fuel capacity is 280 litres so you get an absolute endurance of between 175nm at best, and 116nm at worst with zero safety margin. Allow a minimum of 25% for safety and you get an endurance of between 131nm and 87nm. Looks good for a one way trip, but looks like you will have to refuel at some point. You will not be able to run at absolute best economy for the whole trip, so expect a real life trip economy of around 1.9 lpnm and a real life endurance, with 25% safety margin, of about 110nm based on a 250hp motor. Looks like, with a stop at Gillingham/Chatham, it is doable.
    If found in the Brexit forum, please return to the real world.

The closest I can come up with is a 7.5WA with a 250hp Yamaha, which will be very similar to your boat.

Its best cruising economy appears to be at around 22 knots where it is using around 1.6 ltr per NM
    Its worst economy is at around 8 knots, or above 35 knots, where it is using around 2.2 - 2.4 L per NM

I believe the fuel capacity is 280 litres so you get an absolute endurance of between 175nm at best, and 116nm at worst with zero safety margin. Allow a minimum of 25% for safety and you get an endurance of between 131nm and 87nm. Looks good for a one way trip, but looks like you will have to refuel at some point. You will not be able to run at absolute best economy for the whole trip, so expect a real life trip economy of around 1.9 lpnm and a real life endurance, with 25% safety margin, of about 110nm based on a 250hp motor. Looks like, with a stop at Gillingham/Chatham, it is doable.
    That is really helpful - thanks for much for that information!

Lots of talk about Chatham, but, unless its changed, you can get petrol at Gillingham, which is slightly nearer the river mouth and outside of the lock.
    Very true.
    Worth noting Gillingham access - to the marina at least- is tidal, whereas Chatham is 24hr. Not sure on the Gillingham fuel pontoon.

Default Re: Fuel

Sorry one more question, but how do you get to learn how much of the actual fuel you can use in your tank as I do understand you can't use all of it do the the pickup? Is there a very rough guide to this?

Totally missed that - Thank you - will check that also

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast