Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Stainless Steel Yacht

Just having had a swift browse (not swift enough actually), through the thread here about 'Steelboats', corrosion is mentioned somewhat frequently.
    What's the reason for not having Stainless Steel as the build material?
    Folkboat 'Stakkr' - Inverness - http://islandrov.wix.com/island-rov-web

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.

Default Re: Stainless Steel Yacht

Crevice crack corrosion, amongst other issues.

Corten is probably the 'best' steel for boats.

Quote Originally Posted by SAPurdie View Post
    Corten is probably the 'best' steel for boats.

£££££££££££££££££££££££

I did meet a couple in Yarmouth (IoW) last season in a beautiful looking 45' (ish) boat. I enquired what it was made of, and was very surprised to be told it was SS. I asked in some incredulity and it was confirmed... I still don't know if this was a wind-up that I somehow missed the humorous aspect of, or whether it was actually true!

Wasnt there a Aussie yacht called "Gelignite" hull formed by explosion, a vauge memory from a yotti Mag mebe 40 yrs ago
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

Yepp, explosive formation. usually used in clever military devices where you want to fix two metals together without welding into a special cylindrical or conical shape.

IIRC there was a New Scientist (black and white !) article on the process.
    I think, therefore I am. I am, therefore I sail.

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Wasnt there a Aussie yacht called "Gelignite" hull formed by explosion, a vauge memory from a yotti Mag mebe 40 yrs ago
    Yup. It was an Australian design by "Dynamite" Don Richardson in, I think, 1989. There is a picture, which I better not embed, at https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...oto/1080214970

Basically they made a roughly shaped hull, all flat surfaces and straight seams, lowered it into a concrete mould in the ground, filled it with water and set off an explosive charge in the middle. The charge creates pressure, the water transfers it to the rough shape and the aluminium is forced into the shape of the mould - I expect with a bit of springback.
    "Seamen are always wanting to do things the proper way; and I like to do them my way."

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    Yepp, explosive formation. usually used in clever military devices where you want to fix two metals together without welding into a special cylindrical or conical shape.

IIRC there was a New Scientist (black and white !) article on the process.
    Also used in a joining strip for the superstructures of steel hulls with ally tops. You can weld to both.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    £££££££££££££££££££££££
    When I was building steel woodstoves, I managed to buy Corten 4mm for not much more than plain mild steel?

I have seen a couple of stainless steel yachts. They were not without problems, but no boatbuilding material is perfect.

I once had dinner on two boats that were rafted up together. They were identical, from the same builder, but one was conventional steel and one was stainless. The stainless yacht had to replace the entire deck, but this was originally covered in teak. Wood over metal is rarely a great idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast