Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 'Age shall not weary them....'

I recently had some younger sailors seek my 'input' and I've been musing about their reactions.

I was tempted to say "There are some things I could do rather better when I was young.... and there are some things I can do better now that I'm not."
    but I sensed I'd be tangling with their unthinking prejudices.

What think you?

South Oxfordshire, Gosport and Wellington New Zealand.

Default Re: 'Age shall not weary them....'

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    I recently had some younger sailors seek my 'input' and I've been musing about their reactions.

I was tempted to say "There are some things I could do rather better when I was young.... and there are some things I can do better now that I'm not."
    but I sensed I'd be tangling with their unthinking prejudices.

What think you?
    I was in our local pub one Christmas Eve when the local Morris Dancers turned up, strutted their stuff for a minute or two and proceeded to go round with a bucket collecting to give a Christmas Lunch to the local poor and vunerable.

Two lads near us declined to put anything in, and did a bit of pisstaking.

My mate Bennett suggested that they put something in. The kids asked why they should. Bennett said " Look at 'im-fifty year old farmworker, hanky on 'is 'ead, little bells on 'is knees. Can you imagine 'ow hard you 'ave t'be to walk around Abingdon on a Saturday night dressed like that? I'd pay 'im fore 'ee comes back...................."

They did. Their unthinking prejudices turned pretty quick into thinking ones!
    Last edited by rotrax; 14-02-19 at 00:30.

My Dad could fix anything, apart from electronics. I can now fix anything, including electronics. Most of the young people (i.e. under 40's) that I meet these days can't even fix a dripping tap. We're doomed I tell ye.

Richard

My relationship with my father was rather distant a shame as he could mend and make most things but never past on his knowledge.

Many years ago when I was sailing as second mate I said something or suggested something to the Master...

His response?

"I remember many years ago when I was second mate... the Chief had made a minor error in the Run Book ( a 'joint venture' if you wish between C/E and 2/O) and I took issue with him about it...
    His response? ... while stoking his pipe as old Scots Chief Engineers were want to do..

Paraphrasing here ... it was many years ago...

' 2/0... I know you think I am just a silly old man... but many years ago I was a smart arsed little prick just like you...'

How many years ago was all that... quite a few but I think nothing changes.... I still use it on smart arsed little pricks....

I learned something, or had my view changed, by my daughter who was 12 at the time.
    She like to go out of Brighton marina for very gentle, short trips in nice weather, and it was neaps, in summer, with little wind and a large, slow-moving area of high pressure.
    We met at the marina early one morning, and it was a bit misty, but viz was about a cable so we went out, the sea was like a millpond.
    I stayed in sight of the breakwater with such 'precious cargo' on board, and switched off the engine, sails hanging slack. Then a much thicker patch of mist, or fog rather, enveloped us, and my mind went into all the proceedures you're meant to do in the YM book, and I totally stopped enjoying myself.
    But she was rapt with cosmic delight, genuinely feeling the boat to be in some magical fairy story, in a heavenly floating cloud, she was on another planet. And I picked up on her intense enjoyment of the moment, and forgot about the various checks for navigating in fog or whatever for a bit.
    And since then, I have never been subject to irrational terrors sailing in fog, and I've been caught out a few times since then.
    So a 12 yr old unwittingly educated me about sailing that day, by her innocent wonder, I've done lots of sailing since then but won't forget that trip.

(Although as we crept back into the marina, someone started cursing me for a reckless irresponsible idiot etc, effing and blinding about duty of care, or some such carp. As they do.)

Zoidberg, if you have read this far, it was in that old Hurley you picked up so cheap
    Last edited by Ladybirdgaffcutter; 14-02-19 at 10:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    .... I picked up on her intense enjoyment of the moment, and forgot about the various checks for navigating in fog or whatever for a bit.
    And since then, I have never been subject to irrational terrors sailing in fog, and I've been caught out a few times since then.
    So a 12 yr old unwittingly educated me about sailing that day, by her innocent wonder, I've done lots of sailing since then but won't forget that trip.:
    Thanks for that - a lovely tale and a nice reminder that us old Buffers can/should still learn from the young!

Reminds me of when I was out on Osprey a couple of years back, and my daughter (17yo) was at the helm ... looking very confident and capable.. "You're getting the hang of this", or similar, I said. "Dad, I have been sailing dinghies since I was 8. This is just a big dinghy." That was me told !

I've never suffered from irrational terrors in fog, but had some perfectly rational ones in 100m visibility mid channel; we could hear a ship's engines, couldn't see it, but knew it was getting closer. That's as scared as I've ever been on the water. It eventually went across our bow, just in sight. I still wonder if it knew we were there.
    Steve
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Quote Originally Posted by Stemar View Post
    I've never suffered from irrational terrors in fog, but had some perfectly rational ones in 100m visibility mid channel; we could hear a ship's engines, couldn't see it, but knew it was getting closer. That's as scared as I've ever been on the water. It eventually went across our bow, just in sight. I still wonder if it knew we were there.
    Very similar experience going across Kattegat to Anholt. Various well defined ship lanes to cross, Could see very little in places but heard them. 2000 ton coaster crossed our bows at about 200m, wave from /to the guy on their bridge. Sobering experience. Ears are not THAT good at defining direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybirdgaffcutter View Post
    But she was rapt with cosmic delight, genuinely feeling the boat to be in some magical fairy story, in a heavenly floating cloud, she was on another planet. And I picked up on her intense enjoyment of the moment, and forgot about the various checks for navigating in fog or whatever for a bit.
    You're just an ould romantic, aintcha....?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast