Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HMS Bronington

Default HMS Bronington

For those who don't know/remember this was Prince Charles's command.

When she came up for disposal, I produced a comprehensive proposal for her continued operation under Sea Cadet ownership. I believe there were two (successful) precedents.

I had secured a permanent mooring in Gloucester Docks and permission to operate her (under reduced power) within the Gloucester - Sharpness ship canal.

I also found within the local RNA a team of ex Navy members who held necessary skills at maintaining and operating her.

At the time she was advertised for disposal. I was writing various MOD submissions associated with a number of contracts. I also had various RN and MOD contacts ranging from the likes of admirals, captains, DG Ships, heads of ASWE and AUWE. I had at my (unofficial) disposal a group within the company to produce a highly professional submission.

The proposal I submitted was shamelessly copied (albeit somewhat discretely) to those of my contacts I felt would be supportive. Prince Charles was also appraised of our interest.

MOD rules require proposals to be submitted by a precise time and date and were not allowed to be modified subsequently.

At TS Gloucester civilian committee suggestion, our bid was one golden guinea.

Our bid failed but, perhaps due to "higher influence", we were invited to resubmit our bid. We learned that the City of Manchester had offered £40,000.

I believe that resubmission was, under normal circumstances, forbidden under MOD rules.

We matched the Manchester bid but failed again (and I believe HRH may have had influence).

Subsequent to her disposal, I understand she was converted into a museum ship and toured various docks.

Yesterday, I learned that she was rotting way stern down in Liverpool Docks.

Ugh!
    I'd rather be naked
    www.mastaclimba.com

Default Re: HMS Bronington

Seems a shame that a 'royal yacht' with such good lineage went to waste, especially as the RN has generously provided HMS Egeria (A72) AKA Jonas Hanway in the past, although I understood that she was (unofficially) considered a money pit.

It may be one way to keep ex-military technology from the other side or possibly just bad luck. At least the fate of HMS Bronington is nothing to do with the RN or any linked organisations such as the Marine Society.

Maybe when one of the Archer class plastic hulled ships is up for disposal then the Marine Society may have better luck with their bid, knowing that keeping the ship seaworthy will cost less.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post
    . . . Yesterday, I learned that she was rotting way stern down in Liverpool Docks.

Ugh!
    Is she? Any idea which one?

25 years ago she was rotting away in Salford Docks but I haven't seen her since.

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines

The “ton” class minesweepers were built with African mahongany planking on aluminium alloy frames, and powered by a pair of Deltics. Whilst an enthusiast might learn to love the very noisy and diesel guzzling Deltic for its sheer ingenuity, the poultice corrosion forcing the planks off is not something that anyone can fix. You were much better off without her.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post

Yesterday, I learned that she was rotting way stern down in Liverpool Docks.

Ugh!
    Already scrapped, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    The “ton” class minesweepers were built with African mahongany planking on aluminium alloy frames, and powered by a pair of Deltics. Whilst an enthusiast might learn to love the very noisy and diesel guzzling Deltic for its sheer ingenuity, the poultice corrosion forcing the planks off is not something that anyone can fix. You were much better off without her.
    I worked on those Ton class sweepers years ago when I was based in HMS Lochinvar, just by the Forth bridge.

I have never heard of poultice corrosion before. Is that likely also to affect composite vessels with iron frames, eg Cutty Sark?
    'To lay the foundations of an ever closer union among the peoples of Europe' (EC Treaty)

This was filmed 3 years ago. Were would you start ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGQWcLv4Nqc
    Moody 31

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

You wouldnt if you were sensible !

Usually South Coast but now West Coast of Scotland

I think we have to accept that she is overdue for scrapping. The Ton Class were fun ships to be in when operational but their day has long gone. I served in one out of Port Edgar (fish patrol).
    Prince Charles is said to have spent much of his time away from the ship when supposedly in command and his First Lieutenant took charge and to try and preserve her because he had a fleeting part in her career is tenuous in my view.
    Last edited by mainsail1; 16-02-19 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post

Call Brent?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast