Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SYH to Holland

Default SYH to Holland

What is the shortest landfall from SYH to Holland and what’s the best time to leave? I heard that there is a new marina making an easy shorter trip!

Default Re: SYH to Holland

Quote Originally Posted by XTE View Post
    What is the shortest landfall from SYH to Holland and what’s the best time to leave? I heard that there is a new marina making an easy shorter trip!
    North or South or Zealand
    Cadzand ( if thats what you were thinking of ) might not be best landfall for a first time trip
    Last edited by sailorman; 17-02-19 at 22:02.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

I've not been to Cadzand and although it looks promising I agree that it isn't an obvious place to aim for. There isn't such a great difference between Roompot, Flushing or Breskens that it really matters. For simplicity, I would say Breskens first because you can just turn up at any time of day or night and in any weather. Flushing is sheltered enough but you have to go to the trouble of locking in or work your way into the outer marina. Roompot is handy if you want to go north quickly, but a first-timer might want to visit Middleberg or Veere etc for a taste of the country. The last time we went we went to Blankenberg, which is even shorter, but Belgian, and the next day or so outside to Roompot, but there are other possibilities, such as Hansweert.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I have been into Cadzand and I would probably caution against a low tide entry if you're going there for the first time. We found it a good place to stay overnight.
    At the risk of being boring - your best first stop is Ostend. Shorter trip with an all tide entrance - pretty much doesn't matter what time you leave or arrive - just ensure you aim your course up tide of the harbour so that the tide carries you towards it - get on the wrong side and you'll have a long slow plug against it to get up (or down) the coast.
    If you are intent on Holland first stop - I agree with Breskens as a first stop. Easy entrance and no locks; so at the end of a long journey when you're tired it won't be a trying experience. Leaving time must depend on your boat speed (and here's the kicker) unlike Ostend - it really does matter what time you arrive - as trying to gain Breskens with the Westerschelde in full ebb is no laughing matter. You need to arrive with some flood left - you're not going far down so even an hour left will do.
    One final thought - If it's a first time trip - what's your tolerance? Ostend is 74 miles from Languard point. Breskens 94. For most boats that's at least 3 hours extra - more if you make less than 6 kts. If you have a crew that can take watches that may be OK - we sail as a couple and 11 hours into Ostend is plenty for us - we can do it in daylight in the summer. We have done Breskens to Harwich (ie the return trip) but it's a long old slog in anything but the fairest of winds.

I have sailed Shotley -> Cadzand.

The marina is fine. The town is dire (it's a modern purpose built 'holiday' town really called Cadzand-Bad). It's easy enough to find and enter in daylight but I've not approached in darkness...

I think if I was going now, I'd choose Breskens.

EDIT: Actually, what Marmalade says is pretty sound thinking.
    Save someone's life ... https://www.mind.org.uk/donate

Thanks all. It is a first trip and I am looking for shortest option. I have been to Ostend before a few times, so I will keep that as an option stop over, but will aim for Breskens. I thought that there was another nearer option opposite Breskens.

Make sure you arrive with a favourable tide entering The Shelde & there will be a lot of commercial traffic on the approach

Options Vlissengen, outer (town hbr) or lock in a good stop over, upon arrival is WSV Schelde just through the lock on stbd just before the first bridge
    Last edited by sailorman; 18-02-19 at 08:06.
    Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost, in order to lose everything we had...

We prefer Blankenberg as a landfall, which we do in about 13hrs from Titchmarsh. It is near enough the same distance as Ostend but with no ferries or offshore banks to worry about. (You won't ground on the banks but the sea is often rough over them). Blankenberg has a potentially shallow entrance at LW but it gets dredged early in the season. The locals go in & out at LW but I would leave a couple of hours to be safe. It is then a shorter distance to the Netherlands. There is a choice of YC marinas in the harbour, all ok.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

I would have thought Ijmuden was the most straightforward. Up to the N Shipwash then straight across.

From SYH I have regularly chosen Zeebrugge as my first choice port of call although I have done Blankenburg a couple of times. It is easy all tide approach that can be achieved in day light with good facilities.
    The onward trip has been Middleburg or down the Schelde via the Hanswert canal to Goes which with the tides is easily done in one hit. I prefer these routes as they give an easy all daylight crossing and we usually leave about 4 30 in the morning and arrive about 730 pm ish . We have very rarely sailed all the way.
    This is just my personal preference and there are many variables as you can see.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast